What to expect in 2021 according to prediction markets
JOHN KENNETH GALBRAITH, an economist, once quipped that “the only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable.” With normal life thrown off course by covid-19, you might be forgiven for ignoring economists and studying the stars instead.
Prediction markets, which harness the collective wisdom of the crowd, offer another guide to the future. We consulted several platforms—Betfair, Metaculus, PredictIt and Smarkets—for signals on what 2021 will hold for business, politics, covid and culture. Many of these events are one-offs, so a lack of historical data makes prediction especially tricky. Still, with inoculations now being rolled out, these forecasts give some insight into what the “new normal” in 2021 might look like. ■
Sources: Betfair; Metaculus; PredictIt; Smarkets
This article appeared in the Graphic detail section of the print edition under the headline "Stars in their eyes"
Author: | Post link: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/01/02/what-to-expect-in-2021-according-to-prediction-markets
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: BoA – Federal Reserve dovishness is not sustainable, sudden shift could shock markets April 11, 2021 at 10:06PM
- NEWS: Trade ideas thread – Monday 12 April 2021 April 11, 2021 at 09:58PM
- NEWS: ECB Panetta weekend comments – must accept no further delay in lifting inflation April 11, 2021 at 09:40PM
- NEWS: Media reports that the UK and EU are close to agreeing to a trading agreement for Northern Ireland April 11, 2021 at 09:39PM
- NEWS: Economic calendar due from Asia today – Monday 12 April 2021 April 11, 2021 at 09:16PM