August 31, 2020 at 01:05PM
They say 90 is the new 70, and in Warren Buffett’s case, it may be true.The chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway announced Sunday — his 90th birthday — that his company has acquired a slightly more than 5% stake in each of the five leading Japanese trading companies. The companies are Itochu Corp., Marubeni Corp., Mitsubishi Corp., Mitsui & Co., and Sumitomo Corp. Berkshire said it acquired the holdings over a roughly 12-month period through regular purchases on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Based on Friday’s closing prices for the trading houses, a 5% stake in each would be valued at roughly $6.25 billion.
The Japanese trading companies — known as sogo shosha — are conglomerates that import everything from energy and metals to food and textiles into resource-scarce Japan. They also provide services to manufacturers. The trading houses have helped grow the Japanese economy and contributed to the globalization of its business. But as they have extended their footprint overseas, they’ve also become more vulnerable to global predicaments, like the financial crisis from a decade ago. The trading houses also face increasing competition from venture capitalists and private equity funds.
For Buffett, the move is no quick trading play. Berkshire says it intends to hold the investments for the long term, and that it may increase its holdings in any of the companies up to a maximum of 9.9%, depending on price. Berkshire also pledged to make no purchases beyond a 9.9% stake in any of the companies unless given approval by the trading companies’ boards of directors.
Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway buys stakes in Japan’s five leading trading companies, CNBC, Aug 31
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/warren-buffett-buys-stakes-in-japans-five-leading-trading-companies-20200831/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Fed’s Bostic: Recovery in a ‘rough patch’ but outlook for jobs not totally gloomy February 25, 2021 at 01:49PM
- NEWS: US Q4 GDP (second reading) +4.1% vs +4.2% expected February 25, 2021 at 01:32PM
- NEWS: US weekly initial jobless claims 730k vs 825k expected February 25, 2021 at 01:30PM
- NEWS: US January prelim durable goods orders +3.4% vs +1.1% expected February 25, 2021 at 01:30PM
- People who bought Bitcoin in 2017 becoming the strongest HODLers, new data shows