October 13, 2020 at 09:16AM
Britain’s unemployment rate rose by more than expected to 4.5% in the three months to August, up from 4.1% in the three months to July, even before the end of the government’s broad coronavirus job protection plan. Economists polled by Reuters had expected the unemployment rate to rise more slowly to 4.3%.
The number of people in employment fell by 153,000 in the June-to-August period compared with a median forecast for a fall of 30,000 in the Reuters poll. However, separate tax office data showed the number of staff on company payrolls rose by a monthly 20,000 in September, slightly reducing the total number of job losses by that measure since March to 673,000.
The Bank of England has forecast that the unemployment rate will hit 7.5% by the end of the year as the government scales back its 50 billion-pound ($65 billion) job protection scheme and replaces it with a smaller programme in November.
UK jobless rate rises by more than expected to 4.5%, CNBC, Oct 13
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/uk-jobless-rate-rises-by-more-than-expected-to-4-5-20201013/
Selected by fonecable.com
- USD/CAD Snaps Lower as Big Miss on NFPs Fuels Weaker US Dollar
- NEWS: US stocks open mixed after jobs report May 07, 2021 at 02:34PM
- NEWS: GBPUSD moves back below the previous highs for the week after spike higher May 07, 2021 at 02:27PM
- NEWS: The bond market has some second thoughts on the jobs data May 07, 2021 at 02:19PM
- NEWS: Weak jobs a result of seasonal-adjustment problems? May 07, 2021 at 01:56PM