October 13, 2020 at 09:16AM
Britain’s unemployment rate rose by more than expected to 4.5% in the three months to August, up from 4.1% in the three months to July, even before the end of the government’s broad coronavirus job protection plan. Economists polled by Reuters had expected the unemployment rate to rise more slowly to 4.3%.
The number of people in employment fell by 153,000 in the June-to-August period compared with a median forecast for a fall of 30,000 in the Reuters poll. However, separate tax office data showed the number of staff on company payrolls rose by a monthly 20,000 in September, slightly reducing the total number of job losses by that measure since March to 673,000.
The Bank of England has forecast that the unemployment rate will hit 7.5% by the end of the year as the government scales back its 50 billion-pound ($65 billion) job protection scheme and replaces it with a smaller programme in November.
UK jobless rate rises by more than expected to 4.5%, CNBC, Oct 13
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/uk-jobless-rate-rises-by-more-than-expected-to-4-5-20201013/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Economic data coming up in the European session March 02, 2021 at 05:10AM
- Dollar Up, Gains Over Low-Yielders Over Tolerance for Higher U.S. Bond Yields
- NEWS: Germany reports 3,943 new coronavirus cases, 358 deaths in latest update today March 02, 2021 at 05:03AM
- NEWS: Australian ‘fiscal cliff’ job losses expected to be not severe, more like a ‘fiscal slope’ March 02, 2021 at 04:32AM
- Australian Dollar Forecast: AUD/USD Uptrend in Focus as RBA Holds Policy Steady