June 30, 2020 at 09:27AM
Britain’s economy shrank by the most since 1979 in early 2020 as households slashed their spending, according to official data that included the first few days of the coronavirus lockdown.
Gross domestic product dropped by a quarterly 2.2% between January and March, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said. That was below the median forecast in a Reuters poll of economists for a fall of 2.0%. Prime Minister Boris Johnson will set out his plan to speed up the British economy’s recovery later on Tuesday when he will promise to fast-track 5 billion pounds ($6.13 billion) of infrastructure investment.
Britain’s economy may have contracted by 20% in the first half of 2020, the Bank of England said earlier this month as the full effects of the lockdown hammered most sectors in the April-June period. The BoE has said the slump in the economy this year could be the worst in three centuries.
Tuesday’s figures – which build on previously released data for the first quarter – showed a surge in household saving as their spending collapsed by the largest amount, in cash terms, since records began in the 1950s.
The ONS also said Britain’s current account deficit widened by more than expected in the first three months of 2020. The balance of payments deficit – a long-standing concern for investors because it leaves Britain reliant on foreign inflows of cash – grew to 21.1 billion pounds ($25.9 billion) in the first quarter, compared with a median forecast of 15.4 billion pounds in a Reuters poll of economists. Stripping out volatile movements of gold and other precious metals, the current account deficit narrowed slightly, the ONS said.
UK economy shows biggest drop in 40 years in early 2020, Reuters, Jun 30
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/uk-economy-shows-biggest-drop-in-40-years-in-early-2020-20200630/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Major US indices open lower. NASDAQ is the weakest. July 16, 2020 at 02:34PM
- NEWS: The USDCAD can’t stay below its 200 day MA July 16, 2020 at 02:25PM
- NEWS: The USDJPY trades between its 100 and 200 hour moving average July 16, 2020 at 02:11PM
- NEWS: EURUSD retraces to higher swing area after support holds July 16, 2020 at 02:03PM
- NEWS: GBPUSD retraces higher to the 200 hour moving average July 16, 2020 at 01:52PM
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: Australian employment change +210.8(expected +100K) & Unemployment 7.4% (exp. 7.3%) July 16, 2020 at 02:30AM
- NEWS: BOJ as expected, no change to monetary policy July 15, 2020 at 03:57AM
- NEWS: Macklem opening statement: BOC will be there to provide stimulus for extended period July 15, 2020 at 04:06PM
- NEWS: WTI crude oil futures settle at $41.20 July 15, 2020 at 07:40PM
- NEWS: Pres. Trump: Has completed overall of infrastructure approval process July 15, 2020 at 08:48PM
- US Dollar Forecast: Testing Major Channel Support - Levels for DXY Index
- NEWS: ADP Canada June employment report +1040K vs +208.4K prior July 16, 2020 at 01:35PM
- NEWS: Florida coronavirus cases 10,085 vs 9,261 yesterday July 15, 2020 at 03:33PM
- Is the Chinese stock rally over?
- NEWS: Texas coronavirus cases hit a new record high again, +10,791 July 15, 2020 at 10:06PM