December 03, 2019 at 06:41AM
The U.S. proposed tariffs on roughly $2.4 billion in French products, in response to a tax on digital revenues that hits large American tech companies including Google, Apple Inc., Facebook Inc. and Amazon.com Inc. “France’s digital services tax discriminates against U.S. companies,” the office of the United States Trade Representative said in a statement Monday.
USTR Robert Lighthizer said the agency is also exploring whether to open investigations into similar digital taxes by Austria, Italy and Turkey. The move comes hours after President Donald Trump announced a barrage of other tariffs on steel and aluminum from Argentina and Brazil. The tariffs would be imposed after a public comment period concludes in early 2020 and interested parties have a chance to weigh in on the proposed duties.
Monday’s report concludes a more than four-month-long probe, known as a Section 301 investigation, into France’s tax regime, which Lighthizer in July said “unfairly targets American companies.” The same law was used last year to examine China’s intellectual property practices that led to tariffs on more than $360 billion in Chinese goods. Trump in August suggested tariffs of up to 100% on French wine and told aides that while he’s not generally empathetic with U.S. tech companies, he believes it should be the U.S. — not any other country — that taxes them, people familiar with internal deliberations said.
The U.S. move is a setback for efforts to stop a conflict over digital tax from intensifying. President Donald Trump and France’s Emmanuel Macron agreed in August to try to find a compromise, but a 90-day deadline for talks expired last week without a resolution.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/u-s-proposes-duties-on-2-4-billion-of-french-goods-over-tech-tax-20191203/
Selected by fonecable.com
- Japanese Yen Outlook Bullish on Coronavirus Surge, US Earnings Season
- Explainer: Dollar peg is critical to Hong Kong amid U.S. threats, China worries
- NEWS: Why President Trump doesn’t need to make America great July 11, 2020 at 09:09AM
- Dow Jones, S&P 500, DAX 30, FTSE 100 Outlook: Stocks Week Ahead
- Euro Forecast: EUR/USD to Find Direction from ECB and EU Summit
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: Hong Kong reports second highest daily local coronavirus case tally July 10, 2020 at 09:53AM
- NEWS: Hong Kong reports highest daily jump in local coronavirus cases since the pandemic began July 09, 2020 at 09:55AM
- European markets open lower as coronavirus concerns persist
- Oil declines as U.S. virus cases hit record, heading for weekly fall
- NEWS: When to hold trades over the weekend? July 10, 2020 at 07:16AM
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)
- ‘Vaccine nationalism’ could lead to the coronavirus devastating public health and the economy, experts warn
- NEWS: ForexLive Americas FX news wrap: Canadian dollar shrugs off strong jobs report July 10, 2020 at 09:48PM
- NEWS: ICYMI (been living under a rock?) - WHO say coronavirus might be spread in the air July 10, 2020 at 03:43AM
- NEWS: EUR/USD lower to start the session, sellers look to hold below key near-term levels July 10, 2020 at 07:31AM