July 01, 2020 at 09:49AM
New U.S. COVID-19 cases rose by more than 47,000 on Tuesday according to a Reuters tally, the biggest one-day spike since the start of the pandemic, as the government’s top infectious disease expert warned that number could soon double. California, Texas and Arizona have emerged as new U.S. epicenters of the pandemic, reporting record increases in COVID-19 cases.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the daily increase in new cases could reach 100,000 unless a nationwide push was made to tamp down the resurgent virus.
COVID-19 cases more than doubled in June in at least 10 states, including Texas and Florida, a Reuters tally showed. In parts of Texas and Arizona, hospital intensive care beds for COVID-19 patients are in short supply. More than 126,000 Americans have died from COVID-19 and millions have lost their jobs as states and major cities ordered residents to stay home and businesses closed. The economy contracted sharply in the first quarter and is expected to crater in the second. The European Union has excluded Americans from its “safe list” of countries from which the bloc will allow non-essential travel beginning on Wednesday. The fresh rise in cases and hospitalizations has dimmed hopes that the worst of the human and economic pain had passed, prompting renewed criticism of U.S. President Donald Trump as he seeks re-election on Nov. 3.
His rival, Democrat Joe Biden, on Tuesday said that Trump’s “historic mismanagement” of the pandemic cost lives and inflicted more damage than necessary to the U.S. economy. “It didn’t have to be this way. Donald Trump failed us,” the 77-year-old former vice president said in a speech in Delaware, where he unveiled an updated plan to tackle the pandemic calling for more testing and the hiring of 100,000 contract tracers. In the past week California, Texas and Florida have moved to close recently reopened bars, which public health officials believe are likely one of the larger contributors to the recent spikes.
On Tuesday, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut added travelers from California and seven other states to those who must self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.
U.S. coronavirus cases rise by 47,000, biggest one-day spike of pandemic, Reuters, Jul 1
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/u-s-coronavirus-cases-rise-by-47000-biggest-one-day-spike-of-pandemic-20200701/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Major US indices open lower. NASDAQ is the weakest. July 16, 2020 at 02:34PM
- NEWS: The USDCAD can’t stay below its 200 day MA July 16, 2020 at 02:25PM
- NEWS: The USDJPY trades between its 100 and 200 hour moving average July 16, 2020 at 02:11PM
- NEWS: EURUSD retraces to higher swing area after support holds July 16, 2020 at 02:03PM
- NEWS: GBPUSD retraces higher to the 200 hour moving average July 16, 2020 at 01:52PM
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: Australian employment change +210.8(expected +100K) & Unemployment 7.4% (exp. 7.3%) July 16, 2020 at 02:30AM
- NEWS: BOJ as expected, no change to monetary policy July 15, 2020 at 03:57AM
- NEWS: Macklem opening statement: BOC will be there to provide stimulus for extended period July 15, 2020 at 04:06PM
- NEWS: WTI crude oil futures settle at $41.20 July 15, 2020 at 07:40PM
- NEWS: Pres. Trump: Has completed overall of infrastructure approval process July 15, 2020 at 08:48PM
- US Dollar Forecast: Testing Major Channel Support - Levels for DXY Index
- NEWS: ADP Canada June employment report +1040K vs +208.4K prior July 16, 2020 at 01:35PM
- NEWS: Florida coronavirus cases 10,085 vs 9,261 yesterday July 15, 2020 at 03:33PM
- Is the Chinese stock rally over?
- NEWS: Texas coronavirus cases hit a new record high again, +10,791 July 15, 2020 at 10:06PM