March 26, 2020 at 09:12AM
U.K. house sales are set to plunge by 60% in the next three months as the coronavirus outbreak batters the economy. The slump in the second quarter, which is usually among the most active sales periods, will be followed by a further decline in the three months through September, according to a report on Thursday from real estate portal Zoopla. The hit to prices should feed through more slowly and will depend on the extent of the economic slowdown.
The partial lockdown of the country ordered by Prime Minister Boris Johnson has restricted people’s movements and closed all but essential businesses. That has made it nearly impossible for sellers to market homes, with potential buyers unable to view properties. And the government has warned that stricter rules could be imposed if necessary.
While the logistics of the lockdown impede deals, the economic fallout from the pandemic will dictate the impact on house prices, according to Zoopla. “The greater the economic shock and rise in unemployment, the greater the potential impact on house prices over the spring and into the summer months,” according to the report.
The U.K. economy will contract by at least 10% in the first half of the year, according to Bloomberg Economics’ estimates. Senior U.K. economist Dan Hanson said support provided by the Bank of England and the Treasury should prompt a turnaround in the second half of the year if the outbreak is contained by the summer.
The virus is already weighing on deals, with the number of homes placed under offer in the seven days through March 22 down 15% from the previous week, Zoopla data show. Prior to the outbreak, the U.K. housing market was off to its best start in four years, with price growth of 1.6% in February, up from 1.2% a year earlier, according to Zoopla’s U.K. cities index.
U.K. House Sales Set to Plunge 60% on Coronavirus Lockdown Impact, Bloomberg, Mar 26
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/u-k-house-sales-set-to-plunge-60-on-coronavirus-lockdown-impact-20200326/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: France says that lockdown to last as long as needed April 07, 2020 at 07:34AM
- NEWS: The impact of Quantitative Easing on the USD April 07, 2020 at 07:31AM
- NEWS: US futures rip higher to start the session April 07, 2020 at 07:27AM
- NEWS: Germany’s Altmaier: Not enough data to support loosening of lockdown restrictions April 07, 2020 at 07:19AM
- EUR/USD May Fall on Covid-19 Eurozone Finance Minister Meeting
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: No further news (nor rumours) from the UK about hospitalised PM Johnson April 06, 2020 at 12:53AM
- NEWS: Here are the tests UK PM Johnson will undergo during his hospitalisation for worsening coronavirus April 06, 2020 at 01:36AM
- NEWS: RBNZ Chief Economist says not preparing banks for negative cash rate at the moment April 06, 2020 at 12:58AM
- NEWS: Spain sees fourth straight drop in daily coronavirus cases, deaths April 06, 2020 at 10:36AM
- NEWS: Equities extend their positive move - ES futures now +3% April 06, 2020 at 01:42AM
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Last updated: April 03, 2020, 19:47 GMT
- NEWS: ForexLive European FX news wrap: Risk gains on hope of better days to come April 06, 2020 at 01:08PM
- NEWS: Tokyo Governor to speak Monday afternoon (Japan time) amidst climbing coronavirus infection numebrs April 06, 2020 at 03:48AM
- NEWS: The White House coronavirus briefing - some positive signs April 06, 2020 at 12:40AM
- COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC Last updated: April 05, 2020, 21:14 GMT