November 14, 2019 at 07:54AM
The Chinese yuan could strengthen against the greenback if China and the U.S. sign a so-called phase one trade agreement, according to an economist from Credit Agricole. “We believe that if this phase one deal is done, including no more tariffs, then there’s room for renminbi to appreciate,” said Dariusz Kowalczyk, chief China economist at the French bank, referring to the other name of the Chinese currency.
“There are of course doubts about this phase one deal. But ultimately we believe there’s an 80% chance that it will be signed in this quarter and if that happens, the renminbi will probably drop to towards 6.90,” he told CNBC’s “Street Signs Asia” on Thursday. Chinese currency traded both onshore and offshore have been hovering around 7.0 yuan per dollar for the past month. Onshore and offshore yuan last touched 6.90 against the greenback in August and July, respectively.
Movements in the yuan have largely depended on developments in the U.S.-China trade war, now in its second year. The two countries have slapped tariffs on each other’s products worth billions of dollars, which has weighed down the Chinese economy and currency. But Kowalczyk said weakness in the yuan has “overcompensated” for the economic impact of tariffs. That’s one reason why the currency could appreciate on developments, such as the signing of the “phase one” trade deal, he explained.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/the-expert-assessed-the-prospects-for-the-yuan-and-the-first-phase-of-the-trade-deal-20191114/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Canada Ivey purchasing managers index for November 60.0 versus 48.2 last month December 05, 2019 at 03:00PM
- NEWS: US factory orders for October 0.3% versus 0.3% estimate December 05, 2019 at 03:00PM
- NEWS: US factory orders and Canada Ivey PMI due at the top of the hour December 05, 2019 at 02:58PM
- NEWS: US stocks open higher, but giving up premarket gains December 05, 2019 at 02:36PM
- NEWS: More from BOC Lane: If had inflation persistently below target, we’d cut rates December 05, 2019 at 02:34PM
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP Charts
- NEWS: RBNZ's Orr: We're in a 'hold phase' in monetary policy December 05, 2019 at 12:29AM
- NEWS: Australia October trade balance +A$4502m vs +A$6500m expected December 05, 2019 at 12:30AM
- NEWS: Nikkei 225 closes higher by 0.71% at 23,300.09 December 05, 2019 at 06:04AM
- GBP Charts Live
- NEWS: OPEC meeting begins today, what to expect? December 05, 2019 at 05:24AM
- Nasdaq 100 Forecast: Are Investors Apprehensive About Big-Tech?
- GBP Charts
- Bank of Canada Holds Steady, Citing ‘Intact’ Global Recovery
- New List Claims 1.9 Million Bitcoin Held by Centralized Exchanges