February 11, 2020 at 05:34PM
Key U.S. and European stock indexes surged to fresh records on Tuesday after China’s senior medical adviser suggested the deadly coronavirus may be over in April, a rosy outlook that helped crude prices to rebound on renewed Chinese demand.
China’s foremost medical adviser on the outbreak told Reuters the number of new cases were falling in parts and forecast the epidemic would peak this month, but the World Health Organization still feared a “very grave” global threat. Gold edged lower and the dollar retreated from a four-month high against the euro as risk appetite improved, helping push bond yields higher.
MSCI’s all-world stock index .MIWD00000PUS gained 0.64% to hit a record high, as did the pan-regional STOXX 600 index in Europe, the blue-chip DAX .GDAXI in Germany and the S&P/TSX Composite .GSPTSE in Canada. The Dow industrials, S&P 500 and Nasdaq all set records.
Investors are not euphoric and the coronavirus has added a dose of healthy skepticism in the marketplace, said Rahul Shah, chief executive of Ideal Asset Management in New York. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell told Congress that the U.S. economy is in a good place, even as he cited the potential threat from the coronavirus in China and concerns about the economy’s long-term health. On Wall Street, the Dow Jones Industrial Average .DJI rose 37.72 points, or 0.13%, to 29,314.54. The S&P 500 .SPX gained 16.46 points, or 0.49%, to 3,368.55 and the Nasdaq Composite .IXIC added 73.48 points, or 0.76%, to 9,701.87.
Brent crude LCOc1 rose $1.04 to $54.31 a barrel, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate CLc1 crude rose 66 cents to $50.23 a barrel. Spot gold XAU= was down 0.49% at $1,564.20 an ounce.
Stocks surge to record highs on hopes virus is peaking, gold ebbs, Reuters, Feb 11
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/stocks-surge-to-record-highs-on-hopes-virus-is-peaking-gold-ebbs-20200211/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Fresh Saudi / Russia oil spat? Saudi energy minister rejects Russia’s remarks. April 04, 2020 at 05:23AM
- S&P 500 Price Sinks as Unemployment Spikes; VIX Index Drops?
- Australian Dollar at Risk as Markets Eye Third Coronavirus Rate Cut
- NEWS: Forexlive Americas FX news wrap: NFP tumbles as the start of coronavirus felt in US jobs report April 03, 2020 at 09:41PM
- NEWS: S&P says Germany AAA/A-1+ ratings affirmed April 03, 2020 at 09:13PM
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: UK health secretary hints that Easter Sunday could be peak for virus outbreak in the UK April 03, 2020 at 12:04PM
- NEWS: Spain reports 117,710 total coronavirus cases, up by 7,472 cases from yesterday April 03, 2020 at 10:40AM
- NEWS: Italy March services PMI 17.4 vs 22.5 expected April 03, 2020 at 08:45AM
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Last updated: April 03, 2020, 19:47 GMT
- NEWS: US March non-farm payrolls -701K vs -100K expected April 03, 2020 at 01:30PM
- NEWS: AUD/USD falls to fresh one-week low below 0.6000 April 03, 2020 at 10:32AM
- NEWS: Dollar to stay supported on global risk aversion - NAB April 03, 2020 at 06:20AM
- NEWS: The dollar is whipping around in relatively modest ranges after the much weaker jobs report April 03, 2020 at 01:42PM
- NEWS: Baker Hughes oil rig count 562 versus 624 last week April 03, 2020 at 06:04PM
- NEWS: Ford extends European production halt until at least 4 May April 03, 2020 at 11:57AM