December 02, 2019 at 04:06PM
U.S. stocks fell on disappointing factory data and after President Donald Trump’s move on tariffs rekindled concern over global trade risks. Bonds dropped. The S&P 500 Index headed toward its biggest decline in almost two months as a gauge of U.S. manufacturing contracted against a backdrop of weaker orders and subdued production. Equities also slid after Trump said he’s restoring tariffs on steel and aluminum from Argentina and Brazil.
“It’s all part of the same narrative, right?” Tom Porcelli, chief U.S. economist at RBC Capital Markets, told Bloomberg TV. “There’s a narrative problem in the manufacturing space and the narrative problem obviously stems from trade. Until you actually can sign this deal, I think that manufacturing will remain under pressure.” Elsewhere, oil rebounded from the biggest weekly loss since October on speculation that OPEC+ could defy expectations by deepening its production cuts. Saudi Aramco’s initial public offering is scheduled to be priced on Thursday. Friday brings the U.S. jobs report, where estimates are for non-farm payrolls to rise by 190,000 in November.
The latest tariff development outweighed bets that the world’s two largest economies were close to signing the first part of a trade deal. Meantime, the unexpected drop in U.S. manufacturing showed the sector lacks momentum amid a still-simmering trade war. The S&P 500 slid 0.7% to 3,119.45 as of 10:31 a.m. New York time. The Stoxx Europe 600 Index sank 1.3%. The MSCI Asia Pacific Index rose 0.5%. The Bloomberg Dollar Spot Index fell 0.2%. The euro climbed 0.5% to $1.1072. The Japanese yen strengthened 0.2% to 109.26 per dollar. The Bloomberg Commodity Index gained 0.3%. West Texas Intermediate crude rose 1.7% to $56.11 a barrel.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/stocks-fall-on-trumps-tariff-gambit-factory-data-20191202/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Economic data coming up in the European session July 13, 2020 at 05:07AM
- NEWS: Saudi Aramco has reduced the volume of crude it will supply to Asia July 13, 2020 at 04:37AM
- AUD May Fall on US-China Trade Deal Fears, Crude Oil Eyes OPEC Meeting
- China Renews Push for Increased Global Role for the Yuan
- NEWS: Heavy rainfall in China – 433 rivers have flooded July 13, 2020 at 04:36AM
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: US coronavirus - The latest Texas figures show cases up 3.3%, may be subject to weekend miscounting July 12, 2020 at 09:49PM
- Contact FC
- Markets Week Ahead: Gold Prices, Dow Jones, Earnings Season, Euro, ECB
- NEWS: New Zealand data, June food price +0.5% m/m (prior -0.8%)s July 13, 2020 at 12:20AM
- NEWS: ForexLive Asia FX news wrap: Some flow out of USD, small moves only July 13, 2020 at 03:55AM
- NEWS: US moves against the Hong Kong dollar peg are unlikely for now, officials backpedal July 13, 2020 at 04:09AM
- NEWS: ECB meeting coming up this week - quickie preview (spoiler, no change) July 13, 2020 at 04:30AM
- S&P 500 Faces Earnings Check, Hang Seng Index May Rise
- USD/CAD Rate Outlook Hinges on Bank of Canada (BoC) Forward Guidance
- New Zealand Dollar Outlook: GBP/NZD, EUR/NZD, NZD/CHF Levels to Watch