December 02, 2019 at 04:06PM
U.S. stocks fell on disappointing factory data and after President Donald Trump’s move on tariffs rekindled concern over global trade risks. Bonds dropped. The S&P 500 Index headed toward its biggest decline in almost two months as a gauge of U.S. manufacturing contracted against a backdrop of weaker orders and subdued production. Equities also slid after Trump said he’s restoring tariffs on steel and aluminum from Argentina and Brazil.
“It’s all part of the same narrative, right?” Tom Porcelli, chief U.S. economist at RBC Capital Markets, told Bloomberg TV. “There’s a narrative problem in the manufacturing space and the narrative problem obviously stems from trade. Until you actually can sign this deal, I think that manufacturing will remain under pressure.” Elsewhere, oil rebounded from the biggest weekly loss since October on speculation that OPEC+ could defy expectations by deepening its production cuts. Saudi Aramco’s initial public offering is scheduled to be priced on Thursday. Friday brings the U.S. jobs report, where estimates are for non-farm payrolls to rise by 190,000 in November.
The latest tariff development outweighed bets that the world’s two largest economies were close to signing the first part of a trade deal. Meantime, the unexpected drop in U.S. manufacturing showed the sector lacks momentum amid a still-simmering trade war. The S&P 500 slid 0.7% to 3,119.45 as of 10:31 a.m. New York time. The Stoxx Europe 600 Index sank 1.3%. The MSCI Asia Pacific Index rose 0.5%. The Bloomberg Dollar Spot Index fell 0.2%. The euro climbed 0.5% to $1.1072. The Japanese yen strengthened 0.2% to 109.26 per dollar. The Bloomberg Commodity Index gained 0.3%. West Texas Intermediate crude rose 1.7% to $56.11 a barrel.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/stocks-fall-on-trumps-tariff-gambit-factory-data-20191202/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Rising Treasury yields are driving USD/JPY higher December 12, 2019 at 04:14PM
- NEWS: EURUSD tests support swing area. Bounces. December 12, 2019 at 04:08PM
- NEWS: Cable sags back to 1.3110. Here’s the schedule for election news December 12, 2019 at 04:01PM
- NEWS: AUDUSD tests 200 day MA. Key level for buyers and sellers. December 12, 2019 at 03:41PM
- NEWS: AUD/USD touches the 200-day moving average for the first time since April December 12, 2019 at 03:36PM
Top Posts & Pages
- UK General Election: What's Tactical Voting and What is the Extreme Result going to be like
- GBP Charts
- NEWS: FOMC decision preview – focus on the dots December 11, 2019 at 02:59PM
- GBP Charts
- NEWS: China commerce ministry on trade talks: We are in close communication with the US December 12, 2019 at 07:13AM
- Is Zcash (ZEC) a Total Failure? Crypto Influencers Disagree
- EUR/USD Outlook Ahead of ECB, Post-FOMC Analysis
- NEWS: BOJ Dep Gov Amamiya speech: "Japan's Economy and Monetary Policy" - full text December 12, 2019 at 01:31AM
- Final scramble for votes in 'most important UK election in a generation' ... THE GUARDIAN Reports
- NEWS: EUR/USD buyers eye further bullish momentum after overnight gains December 12, 2019 at 07:59AM