January 13, 2020 at 12:01PM
Sterling fell below $1.30 on Monday morning after Bank of England (BOE) Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) member Gertjan Vlieghe hinted that he could vote to cut interest rates if upcoming data does not suggest a rebound for the U.K. economy.
Early in the European trading session, the pound had fallen by around 0.7% against both the dollar and the euro. Vlieghe told the Financial Times that the next few central bank meetings were “absolutely live,” echoing recent dovish comments from BOE Governor Mark Carney.
A host of data on Monday further reinforced the bank’s concerns, with GDP (gross domestic product) figures showing that Britain’s economy grew at its weakest annual pace in over seven years in November.
GDP in November was up just 0.6% compared to November 2018, while manufacturing output and industrial production fell on an annualized basis. The Bank of England has not cut rates since 2016, having been one of only a handful of major central banks to hold rates steady in 2019.
In a note Monday, Berenberg Economics suggested while sterling remains weak relative to fundamentals and underlying domestic confidence, persisting Brexit uncertainty as the U.K. and EU negotiate the future relationship may still weigh on the currency.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/sterling-sinks-below-1-30-on-bank-of-england-rate-cut-hints-20200113/
Selected by fonecable.com
- As Lebanese struggle to make ends meet, living costs set to soar higher
- USD/CAD, EUR/USD, AUD/USD Technical Analysis for Next Week & More
- China Locks Down 40 Million People as Anger Grows Over Virus
- Bitcoin Could Suffer More Losses After Breaching Key Support
- NEWS: ForexLive European FX news wrap: Pound fails to take heart in UK PMI data beat January 24, 2020 at 11:54AM
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP Charts
- NEWS: Gold still refuses to follow the script as price action remains caught in limbo January 23, 2020 at 08:35AM
- NEWS: HK briefing announced at 0230GMT - on 2nd coronavirus case January 23, 2020 at 01:31AM
- NEWS: NZ finmin Robertson says more government spending to come to support economy January 23, 2020 at 02:52AM
- Euro May Fall as the ECB Stays Cautious Despite Economic Upturn
- NEWS: ANZ no longer forecasting an RBA rate cut next week January 23, 2020 at 02:01AM
- GBP Charts
- NEWS: The shut down of Wuhan is an enormous event - the numbers are staggering January 23, 2020 at 01:53AM
- NEWS: Coronavirus news - HK has suspended high speed rail ticket sales for Wuhan January 23, 2020 at 02:53AM
- NEWS: UK's Leadsom: We will make a final decision on Huawei 'soon' January 23, 2020 at 08:00AM