February 14, 2020 at 08:05AM
Singapore must be prepared for the number of people in the country infected with the new coronavirus disease — formally named COVID-19 — to continue to climb in the coming weeks, a minister said on Friday. As of Thursday noon, Singapore had 58 confirmed cases of COVID-19, 15 of which have recovered and been discharged, according to the country’s Ministry of Health. The Southeast Asian nation with a population of 5.7 million has one of the highest numbers of cases outside China.
Singapore has not recorded any deaths, but that too is something people must be “psychologically prepared” for as the number of cases continues to rise, said Janil Puthucheary, senior minister of state at Singapore’s Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Communications and Information.
“The issue is really whether these are going to be cases that are linked to the existing spread, existing cluster, links to China or whether we have an increasing number of cases that are unlinked community spread … At the moment, most of the cases can be linked back to known clusters,” he added.
Singapore, as an open economy, is one of the most vulnerable countries to reduced economic activity in China. The world’s second-largest economy is Singapore’s biggest export market and largest source of international tourists.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/singapore-must-prepare-for-a-continued-rise-in-coronavirus-cases-minister-says-20200214/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Warren Buffett says that while the coronavirus outbreak is ‘scary stuff,’ he is not selling February 25, 2020 at 04:23AM
- NEWS: US House Speaker Pelosi says Trump’s request for coronavirus funding overdue and inadequate February 25, 2020 at 04:22AM
- Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum Forecast: BTC/USD, ETH/USD, XRP/USD
- NEWS: Japan PM Abe says preparing further measures on coronavirus February 25, 2020 at 03:59AM
- NEWS: Hong Kong schools to remain closed until after Easter February 25, 2020 at 03:47AM
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)
- NEWS: Dow falls 1000 points February 24, 2020 at 05:18PM
- NEWS: United Airlines cut 2020 forecast, citing coronavirus impact February 24, 2020 at 10:32PM
- NEWS: ICYMI - Fed's Mester sees US economy performing well, coronavirus a big risk February 25, 2020 at 01:51AM
- NEWS: US President Trump says "Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA" February 24, 2020 at 09:43PM
- NEWS: More from Fed's Mester: Monday's market reaction to the coronavirus is 'one day' February 24, 2020 at 09:16PM
- 5 Economic Indicators That Could Rock the U.S. Stock Market This Week
- NEWS: Dollar moves a bit higher as gold comes off February 24, 2020 at 08:07PM
- NEWS: US CDC say 14 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the US February 24, 2020 at 05:23PM
- NEWS: The USDJPY moves toward 200 hour MA and bounces February 24, 2020 at 03:12PM