October 02, 2020 at 06:05PM
The Russian ruble has emerged as a barometer of Donald Trump’s chances of winning the election. A slump in the currency in recent months has mirrored rising betting odds of Biden beating Trump on Nov. 3. After two days of gains, the ruble sank the most in emerging markets on Friday on news that the president had contracted the coronavirus.
The market is predicting a Democrat in the White House will more likely impose harsher sanctions on Russia, and the risk of such penalties might increase if the Kremlin tries to interfere in the vote to prevent a Biden victory.
The trend is the opposite of 2016, when the Russian currency appreciated as Trump gained in the polls. Trump promised during his campaign to heal battered relations with the Kremlin, but his presidency ended up mired in allegations that Russia influenced the vote to help him win.
Only the Turkish lira has performed worse than the ruble among major emerging markets in the past three months. Both currencies are down more than 10% against the dollar.
Ruble’s Slump Mirrors Growing Odds of Biden Presidential Win, Bloomberg, Oct 2
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/rubles-slump-mirrors-growing-odds-of-biden-presidential-win-20201002/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Canada April net change in employment -207.1K versus -150K estimate May 07, 2021 at 01:30PM
- NEWS: US April non-farm payrolls +266K vs +1000K expected May 07, 2021 at 01:30PM
- NEWS: The GBP is the strongest and the NZD is the weakest as NA traders enter for the day May 07, 2021 at 01:16PM
- NEWS: BOE’s Broadbent: Bias towards easing at BOE is now less pronounced May 07, 2021 at 01:12PM
- NEWS: Locked and loaded for another edition of non-farm payrolls May 07, 2021 at 01:09PM