May 22, 2020 at 11:44AM
Speculation that the U.K. could be the next major nation with negative interest rates is hurting the pound and driving a record rally in the country’s haven bonds. Sterling tumbled against a stronger dollar and gilt yields touched fresh all-time lows after Bank of England Deputy Governor Dave Ramsden became the latest policy maker to signal that interest rates below 0% could be a possibility. Traders in money markets are betting the U.K. could see sub-zero interest rates by year-end.
Ramsden’s comments “are broadly in line with other Monetary Policy Committee members this week which have signaled that the BOE is giving serious consideration to putting in place negative rates,” said Lee Hardman, a foreign-exchange strategist at MUFG. “I don’t think it would surprising to see the pound fall back towards the March lows if negative rates were put in place.”
The pound slid 0.4% to $1.2176, taking its losses this quarter to 1.9%, making it the worst performer among Group-of-10 major peers. It fell to a 35-year low of $1.1412 in March as London, the world’s largest foreign-exchange trading hub, headed for a lockdown as the coronavirus spread.
Data out Friday showed a record U.K. budget deficit of 62.1 billion pounds ($76 billion) in April. Retail sales data collapsed by almost a fifth in the same month. The BOE’s forecasts expect an economic contraction of 14% this year. The pound is also being weighed down by a lack of progress on Brexit trade talks, which could see a so-called cliff-edge exit from a transitional period with the European Union at the end of the year.
Pound Risks 35-Year Low With BOE Fueling Sub-Zero Rate Bets, Bloomberg, May 22
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/pound-risks-35-year-low-with-boe-fueling-sub-zero-rate-bets-20200522/
Selected by fonecable.com
- Gold Prices Face RBA, BoC, ECB, US Jobs Data and Brexit Talks
- NEWS: June major central bank overview May 30, 2020 at 07:34AM
- NEWS: The impact of a slowing US economy on the USD May 30, 2020 at 07:33AM
- US Dollar (USD) Outlook: US-China Tensions Likely to Escalate Further
- Oil Price to Stay Afloat as US Output Falls to Lowest Level Since 2018
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: CFTC commitments of traders. JPY longs increase vs the USD in the current week May 29, 2020 at 08:40PM
- NEWS: USDJPY works toward the swing highs for the week (after trading to a new low) May 29, 2020 at 06:51PM
- British Pound (GBP) Latest: GBP/USD Under Pressure Ahead of Next Week's EU/UK Trade Talks
- Crude Oil Prices May Fall on US-China Tension, Trump Speech Eyed
- NEWS: Trump: China raided our factories and gutted our industries May 29, 2020 at 07:50PM
- Americans unprecedentedly saved in April, and that isn’t good
- US Dollar Eyes Trump Speech, Beware of Month-End Rebalancing
- Upbeat RBA Could Fuel Australian Dollar Strength
- Trump may punish China — but it won’t be very damaging, says Chinese economist
- Euro Breakout or Fake-Out? EUR/USD, EUR/JPY Surge to Fresh Highs