Christine Lagarde is nothing if not a skilled political operator, and she’s proving it once again as she takes over the helm of the European Central Bank from Mario Draghi even as parts of Europe, notably Germany, face rising fears of recession.
Anticipating the eventual blame politicians might try to place on the central banker, Lagarde, a former French economy minister and more recently managing director of the International Monetary Fund, made a rather stunning but important admission in remarks before she took on the new role.
There’s really not all that much more the ECB can do to stimulate growth, she indicated, given official interest rates are already negative and a huge swatch of government debt offers negative yields, meaning investors as so worried about safety they are willing to pay a premium just to park their money in sovereign bonds.
Arguing central banks are no longer “the only game in town” as they were often seen during the last recession, Lagarde emphasized the ECB’s room for policy maneuver is severely constrained.
She urged fiscal authorities—that is, politicians—to do their part by spending money when needed to bolster growth.
Many economists chide Germany in particular, the euro zone’s largest economy, for focusing excessively on exports at the expense of consumption by not investing enough domestically.
“No central banker will easily acknowledge that he or she has run out of policy options, but in September 2019, Christine Lagarde … seemed to admit as much,” wrote economist Jean Pisani-Ferri, a visiting fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, in a blog this week.
A look at the following chart helps further explain the limitations on additional monetary easing.
#Once Unthinkable Warning From New ECB President Puts Onus On Politicians … FORBES November 14, 2019 at 09:50AM
Read more news on oursite:
UK news UK companies news Sterling pound news EU news EU companies news Euro news US news US companies news US Dollar news Japanese Yen news Chinese Yuan news Trading EU Shares Commodities news Crytocurrency news Major Currency Pairs Update fonecable中文版(简) fonecable中文版(繁) fonecable日文版 and more…
- Gold Price Outlook Bearish on Easing Trade Tensions, GDP Data
- NEWS: SNB Chain Jordan says Bank could cut rates further, if necessary (but not now) December 14, 2019 at 06:28PM
- U.S. Mnuchin says trade deal with China to boost global economy
- NEWS: How to make FX trading work for you part 1 December 14, 2019 at 01:34PM
- Oil Price Outlook Mired by Sticky US Crude Output
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP Charts Live
- UK General Election: What's Tactical Voting and What is the Extreme Result going to be like
- GBP Charts
- UK General Election results: Boris Johnson returns to power
- NEWS: China press conference on trade deal pushed back another 30 minutes December 13, 2019 at 02:32PM
- NEWS: China says committed to resolving trade issues but deal must be mutually beneficial December 13, 2019 at 07:13AM
- NEWS: Update on the US-China trade deal December 13, 2019 at 01:17AM
- NEWS: More from the senior China diplomat - the US has gone astray December 13, 2019 at 02:12AM
- NEWS: Atlanta Fed GDPNow Q4 estimate unchanged at 2.0% December 13, 2019 at 05:05PM
- NEWS: GBPUSD continues to retrace the gains December 13, 2019 at 02:02PM
Read more – fonecable: Once Unthinkable Warning From New ECB President Puts Onus On Politicians … FORBES