October 05, 2020 at 11:17AM
Oil prices rose on Monday, lifted by comments from doctors for U.S. President Donald Trump suggesting he could be discharged from hospital as soon as Monday, just a few days after his positive coronavirus test sparked widespread alarm. Brent was up $1.20, or 3.1%, to $40.47 a barrel by 0925 GMT. U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude was $1.26, or 3.4%, higher at $38.31 a barrel.
Prices slumped more than 4% on Friday following Trump’s diagnosis. However, he made a surprise appearance on Sunday in a motorcade outside the hospital where he is being treated, which helped improve market sentiment. According to his doctors, he could be discharged from hospital later on Monday.
Oil was also supported by an escalating workers’ strike in Norway. Energy major Equinor shut four of its offshore oil and gas fields on Monday as its workers expanded their strike, a company spokesman told Reuters.
Two more fields operated by Neptune Energy and Wintershall Dea also face likely shutdowns on Monday because of the strike, the Norwegian Oil and Gas Association has said. The reduction in Norwegian production was mainly balanced by rising output in Libya, analysts said.
Libyan oil production has increased by about 20,000 barrels per day (bpd) from last week to 290,000 bpd as exports ramp up, a Libyan oil source told Reuters on Monday on condition of anonymity. Meanwhile recent price rises have prompted some U.S. producers to resume drilling. U.S. energy firms this week added oil and natural gas rigs for a third week in a row for the first time since October 2018, data from Baker Hughes showed on Friday.
Oil rebounds on Trump health update, Norway shutdowns, Reuters, Oct 5
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/oil-rebounds-on-trump-health-update-norway-shutdowns-20201005/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: More on China’s market rates unlikely to rise rapidly in short term March 04, 2021 at 02:30AM
- Dollar Up Over Treasuries’ Orderly Gains, but Concerns Remain
- NEWS: The RBA pushed back hard on rising yields, other central banks seem more relaxed March 04, 2021 at 01:59AM
- NEWS: Fed Chair Powell speaks Thursday – stage set for a UST short squeeze play? March 04, 2021 at 01:17AM
- NEWS: PBOC sets USD/ CNY mid-point today at 6.4758 (vs. yesterday at 6.4565) March 04, 2021 at 01:15AM