May 22, 2020 at 08:39AM
Oil prices fell on Friday as tensions rose between the U.S. and China and as Beijing failed to set target for economic growth this year, stoking concern that the coronavirus pandemic will overshadow fuel demand in the world’s second-largest oil user. Brent crude was trading down $1.43, or 4%, at $34.63 a barrel by 0630 GMT, after falling to as low as $33.54.
West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude dropped by $1.81, or 5.3%, to $32.11 a barrel, having slumped to $30.72 earlier. Oil prices have risen sharply in recent weeks and are still on track for a fourth weekly gain after the depths plumbed in April when U.S. crude fell below zero. However, markets were disappointed at China’s decision not to set an economic growth target this year, as the National People’s Congress (NPC) kicked off a week-long meeting.
Rising tensions between the U.S. and China over trade and Beijing’s plan to implement national security legislation in Hong Kong is hitting oil and other markets, analysts said. U.S. President Donald Trump warned of a strong reaction over the attempt to assert more control over the former British colony.
Volumes were about double the average for the Asian session, he said, suggesting “real commitment” in the pullback. Still, gasoline demand is returning, with traffic congestion in some of the world’s capitals recovering to year-earlier levels after the lifting of coronavirus restrictions, data prepared for Reuters shows. The upcoming Memorial Day holiday weekend typically kicks off the U.S. summer driving season. U.S. crude inventories fell last week against expectations of a rise, official data showed this week.
Oil prices drop as China-U.S. tensions grow, Beijing fails to set economic growth target, Reuters, May 22
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/oil-prices-drop-as-china-u-s-tensions-grow-beijing-fails-to-set-economic-growth-target-20200522/
Selected by fonecable.com
Search Web: Oil prices drop as China-U.S. tensions grow, Beijing fails to set economic growth target
- NEWS: NZD/USD pares mild losses earlier to retest 100-day moving average May 27, 2020 at 09:23AM
- NEWS: Switzerland May Credit Suisse investor sentiment 31.3 vs 12.7 prior May 27, 2020 at 09:00AM
- NEWS: ECB’s Lagarde: There will be no new euro debt crisis after the pandemic May 27, 2020 at 08:59AM
- NEWS: ECB’s Lagarde: It is very likely that ECB ‘mild’ scenario is outdated May 27, 2020 at 08:39AM
- Bit-comment: Bitcoin develop its decline
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP Charts
- NEWS: NZDUSD trades above its 100 day moving average for the 1st time since February 12 May 26, 2020 at 03:31PM
- NEWS: Boeing said to be set to announce significant US job cuts this week May 27, 2020 at 04:29AM
- NEWS: ECB's Villeroy: PEPP is a 'masterpiece' May 26, 2020 at 07:47AM
- NEWS: Hong Kong’s legislature surrounded by police ahead of expected large rally, protests May 27, 2020 at 01:31AM
- NEWS: S&P moves back toward the 200 day MA/3000 level May 26, 2020 at 04:49PM
- NEWS: USD/CAD falls to post-pandemic low in technical breakdown May 26, 2020 at 01:07PM
- NEWS: Gold stays below the 100/200 hour MA May 26, 2020 at 07:21PM
- NEWS: USD/CAD continues to crumble. What's next May 26, 2020 at 07:45PM
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)