February 14, 2020 at 08:02AM
Oil prices edged higher on Thursday, as investors hoped the world’s biggest producers would cut output more, while they largely shrugged off forecasts of slumping demand due to the coronavirus outbreak in top oil importer China.
Brent crude LCOc1 was up 58 cents, or 1.04%, at $56.37 a barrel by 12:20 p.m. ET, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) CLc1 was up 40 cents, or 0.8%, at $51.57 a barrel. U.S. gasoline futures RBc1 jumped more than 1%, supported by outages at Exxon Mobil Corp’s 502,500 barrel-per-day (bpd) Baton Rouge, Louisiana and at Phillips 66’s 285,000-bpd Bayway refinery in Linden, New Jersey.
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries lowered its 2020 demand forecast for its crude by 200,000 bpd, prompting expectations the producer group and its allies, known as OPEC+, could cut output further. Oil demand in China, the world’s second-largest crude consumer, has plunged because of travel restrictions and quarantines.
Hubei province, the center of the outbreak, said on Thursday the number of new confirmed cases there jumped by 14,840 to 48,206 on Feb. 12 and that deaths climbed by a daily record of 242 to 1,310. The International Energy Agency (IEA) expects oil demand in the first quarter to fall for the first time in 10 years before picking up from the second quarter. The agency cut its full-year global growth forecast to 825,000 bpd.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/oil-prices-climb-on-prospects-for-deeper-opec-output-cuts-20200214/
Selected by fonecable.com
- US Dollar, USD/MYR Outlook: Malaysia Eyes Coronavirus, Political Risks
- NEWS: Economic data coming up in the European session February 25, 2020 at 05:21AM
- NEWS: Apple said to have reopened more than half of its retail stores in China February 25, 2020 at 05:15AM
- NEWS: Japan December final leading indicator index 91.6 vs 91.6 prelim February 25, 2020 at 05:01AM
- NEWS: Sharks actually save the lives of swimmers (for real!). A piece on behavioural bias February 25, 2020 at 04:52AM
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)
- NEWS: ICYMI - Fed's Mester sees US economy performing well, coronavirus a big risk February 25, 2020 at 01:51AM
- NEWS: Dow falls 1000 points February 24, 2020 at 05:18PM
- NEWS: United Airlines cut 2020 forecast, citing coronavirus impact February 24, 2020 at 10:32PM
- NEWS: US House Speaker Pelosi says Trump's request for coronavirus funding overdue and inadequate February 25, 2020 at 04:22AM
- NEWS: US President Trump says "Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA" February 24, 2020 at 09:43PM
- Bit-comment: BTC trapped in a narrow range
- NEWS: Japan PM Abe says preparing further measures on coronavirus February 25, 2020 at 03:59AM
- NEWS: Goldman cuts 1Q GDP to 1.2% on coronavirus February 24, 2020 at 05:04PM
- NEWS: Dollar moves a bit higher as gold comes off February 24, 2020 at 08:07PM