July 13, 2020 at 11:16AM
Oil prices dropped on Monday on big spikes in COVID-19 infections over the weekend in the United States and elsewhere while traders await an OPEC technical meeting expected to recommend an easing of supply cuts. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 65 cents, or 1.5%, to $42.59 a barrel by 0848 GMT, though prices have been hovering around $42 for a couple of weeks. U.S. crude CLc1 was down 75 cents, or 1.9%, at $39.80.
U.S. COVID-19 infections surged over the weekend as Florida reported an increase of more than 15,000 new cases in 24 hours, a record for any state. Oil traders also remained on edge as the Joint Ministerial Monitoring Committee (JMMC) of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) prepares to meet on Tuesday and Wednesday to recommend levels for future supply cuts.
OPEC and allies including Russia, a group known as OPEC+, are expected to ease their production cuts to 7.7 million barrels per day (bpd) after a recovery in global oil demand. OPEC+ cut output by a record 9.7 million bpd for May, June and July. Libya, meanwhile, re-imposed force majeure on all oil exports on Sunday because of a renewed blockade by eastern forces. The move comes only two days after Libya exported its first crude cargo in six months. Rising tension between the United States and China over the COVID-19 pandemic and other issues also pressured prices.
Oil dips on surge in COVID-19 infections, Reuters, Jul 13
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/oil-dips-on-surge-in-covid-19-infections-20200713/
Selected by fonecable.com
- Dollar Up, But Gains Capped by U.S. Stimulus Package Stalemate
- NEWS: More from RBA’s Ellis – job support packages will make recovery a little stronger August 07, 2020 at 03:18AM
- NEWS: ICYMI – Russia and China are partnering to reduce their dependence on the US dollar August 07, 2020 at 03:13AM
- NEWS: RBA’s Ellis says will maintain loose policy for as long as required August 07, 2020 at 02:46AM
- Indian Rupee, USD/INR Look Past RBI Rate Hold. Nifty 50 Uptrend Holds
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: AUDUSD spikes to a new session high August 06, 2020 at 03:08PM
- NEWS: Here is what’s on the economic calendar in Asia today - Friday 7 August 2020 August 06, 2020 at 09:00PM
- NEWS: ForexLive Americas FX news wrap: AUD leads the way with sentiment upbeat ahead of NFP August 06, 2020 at 09:15PM
- Bitcoin pushed up by Wall Street greed
- NEWS: Trade ideas thread - Friday 7 August 2020 August 06, 2020 at 09:54PM
- NEWS: Amazon's Bezos sold $1.9 billion of his shares …. yours! August 06, 2020 at 12:56AM
- NEWS: European shares end the day lower. UK's FTSE falls -1.1%. August 06, 2020 at 04:44PM
- NEWS: USDCHF moves toward MA targets (and other resistance targets). August 06, 2020 at 03:40PM
- NEWS: EURUSD moves to new NY session high as London traders head for the exits August 06, 2020 at 05:14PM
- NEWS: Ohio governor DeWine tests positive for COVID-19 August 06, 2020 at 05:31PM