July 10, 2020 at 10:00AM
Oil prices fell on Friday, adding to steep losses from the previous session, and were headed for weekly declines on worries that renewed lockdowns following a surge in coronavirus cases in the United States and elsewhere could suppress fuel demand.
Brent crude was down by 73 cents, or 1.7%, at $41.62 a barrel by 0712 GMT after falling more than 2% on Thursday. U.S. oil fell 83 cents, or 2.1%, at $38.79 a barrel after a drop of 3% in the previous session.
Brent looks set for a weekly decline of nearly 3% and U.S. crude for a fall of around 4.5%. Trading was quiet with Singapore on holiday for an election.
While many analysts are expecting economies and fuel demand to bounce back from the pandemic, record daily increases in coronavirus infections in the United States, the world’s biggest oil consumer, raised concerns about the pace of any recovery.
More than 60,500 new COVID-19 cases were reported in the United States on Thursday, setting a daily record, with Americans being told to take new precautions. The tally was also the highest daily count yet for any country since the pathogen emerged in China late last year.
Oil inventories remain bloated due to the evaporation of demand for gasoline, diesel and other fuels during the initial outbreak. U.S. crude oil inventories rose by nearly 6 million barrels last week after analysts had forecast a decline of just over half that figure.
Oil declines as U.S. virus cases hit record, heading for weekly fall, Reuters, Jul 10
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/oil-declines-as-u-s-virus-cases-hit-record-heading-for-weekly-fall-20200710/
Selected by fonecable.com
- Dollar Up, But Gains Capped by U.S. Stimulus Package Stalemate
- NEWS: More from RBA’s Ellis – job support packages will make recovery a little stronger August 07, 2020 at 03:18AM
- NEWS: ICYMI – Russia and China are partnering to reduce their dependence on the US dollar August 07, 2020 at 03:13AM
- NEWS: RBA’s Ellis says will maintain loose policy for as long as required August 07, 2020 at 02:46AM
- Indian Rupee, USD/INR Look Past RBI Rate Hold. Nifty 50 Uptrend Holds
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: AUDUSD spikes to a new session high August 06, 2020 at 03:08PM
- NEWS: Here is what’s on the economic calendar in Asia today - Friday 7 August 2020 August 06, 2020 at 09:00PM
- NEWS: ForexLive Americas FX news wrap: AUD leads the way with sentiment upbeat ahead of NFP August 06, 2020 at 09:15PM
- Bitcoin pushed up by Wall Street greed
- NEWS: Amazon's Bezos sold $1.9 billion of his shares …. yours! August 06, 2020 at 12:56AM
- NEWS: Trade ideas thread - Friday 7 August 2020 August 06, 2020 at 09:54PM
- NEWS: European shares end the day lower. UK's FTSE falls -1.1%. August 06, 2020 at 04:44PM
- NEWS: Ohio governor DeWine tests positive for COVID-19 August 06, 2020 at 05:31PM
- NEWS: USDCHF moves toward MA targets (and other resistance targets). August 06, 2020 at 03:40PM
- NEWS: Goldman Sachs non - farm payroll preview (NFP) August 06, 2020 at 10:39PM