September 11, 2020 at 02:11PM
Consumer price growth in the US has exceeded economists’ expectations for the third consecutive month. Published figures for August showed a 0.4% increase after two months of a 0.6% rise. Annual growth accelerated to 1.3%, the highest since March, although it was as low as 0.1% in May.
The Core-CPI index is also gaining, recording an annual growth rate of 1.7% last month.
Last month’s rise in prices was broad, and not based on individual groups. Rapid recovery in inflation usually plays into the hands of the national currency as it reflects strong consumer demand and brings the CB closer to monetary policy tightening. The market seems to have responded to the news based on this logic by strengthening demand for the Dollar.
However, there are some reasonable doubts about the sustainability of dollar growth on such news. A change in the Fed’s strategy has been taken off the agenda for raising rates in the foreseeable future, perhaps up until 2023.
The FxPro Analyst Team
From: The FxPro Analyst Team https://fxpro.news/daily-economic-events/higher-inflation-couldnt-help-dollar-this-time-20200911/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Before and after from the Powell interview with the Wall Street Journal March 04, 2021 at 05:43PM
- NEWS: USD runs higher/stocks lower/bond yields higher as Powell not offering anything new March 04, 2021 at 05:35PM
- NEWS: US dollar and Treasury yields rise as Powell offers no hints at anything March 04, 2021 at 05:33PM
- NEWS: Some levels at the start of the Powell testimony March 04, 2021 at 05:18PM
- NEWS: Fed’s Powell: We think it’s unlikely that deeply-held inflation expectations are changed March 04, 2021 at 05:11PM