May 22, 2020 at 01:10PM
The British pound is falling for the third day in a row to 1.2160 earlier today, receiving a new impulse of pressure after the release of alarming statistics. Retail sales fell 18.1% in April (by 15.2% ex-fuel), slightly weaker than expected. It is unnecessary to say that it was the record collapse in the history of the indicator. The retail sales index fell to 2005 levels.
Also, ONS reported an increase in the budget deficit significantly higher than forecasted amid a 26% revenue drop and a 54% surge in spending. As a result, net public debt reached 97.7% of GDP and, 113.4% including debt of public sector banks, reached its highest level over the past six years.
Right now, borrowing is not a problem for the UK Treasury as government bond yields have fallen to record lows. Earlier this week, the Treasury first borrowed from markets at a negative rate. However, in the longer term, the combination of low inflation, a weak economy and a high debt burden reduces the potential for GDP growth. Reinhart and Rogoff in the book “This time is different” noted that the growth rate of the economy is sharply slowing at a public debt close to 100% of GDP. A recent example of Europe and Britain showed why: at the earliest opportunity, the government switches from stimulating growth to fiscal discipline.
The FxPro Analyst Team
From: The FxPro Analyst Team https://fxpro.news/daily-economic-events/high-public-debt-will-restrain-the-uk-recovery-20200522/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: NZD/USD pares mild losses earlier to retest 100-day moving average May 27, 2020 at 09:23AM
- NEWS: Switzerland May Credit Suisse investor sentiment 31.3 vs 12.7 prior May 27, 2020 at 09:00AM
- NEWS: ECB’s Lagarde: There will be no new euro debt crisis after the pandemic May 27, 2020 at 08:59AM
- NEWS: ECB’s Lagarde: It is very likely that ECB ‘mild’ scenario is outdated May 27, 2020 at 08:39AM
- Bit-comment: Bitcoin develop its decline
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP Charts
- NEWS: NZDUSD trades above its 100 day moving average for the 1st time since February 12 May 26, 2020 at 03:31PM
- NEWS: Boeing said to be set to announce significant US job cuts this week May 27, 2020 at 04:29AM
- NEWS: ECB's Villeroy: PEPP is a 'masterpiece' May 26, 2020 at 07:47AM
- NEWS: Hong Kong’s legislature surrounded by police ahead of expected large rally, protests May 27, 2020 at 01:31AM
- NEWS: S&P moves back toward the 200 day MA/3000 level May 26, 2020 at 04:49PM
- NEWS: USD/CAD falls to post-pandemic low in technical breakdown May 26, 2020 at 01:07PM
- NEWS: Gold stays below the 100/200 hour MA May 26, 2020 at 07:21PM
- NEWS: USD/CAD continues to crumble. What's next May 26, 2020 at 07:45PM
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)