September 01, 2020 at 10:59AM
August has been a strong month for broad U.S. stock indexes — the best since the April bounce-back from the pandemic lows in March. In addition to the technology rally, there have been partial rebounds for troubled industries, including cruise lines, airlines, and hotel and casino operators.
The Dow rose 7.6% during August and ended the month down 0.4% for 2020. The S&P 500 Index was up 7% for August and up 8.3% for 2020. The Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, +0.68% was up 9.6% for August and up 31.2% for the year, while the Nasdaq-100 Index (which includes the largest 100 nonfinancial companies in the Nasdaq) was up 11% for August and up 38.7% for 2020.
As the market opened Monday, shares of Apple Inc. AAPL, +3.39% underwent a four-for-one split, while Tesla Inc. TSLA, +12.56% completed a five-for-one split. Apple’s split-adjusted stock ended the session up 21.4% for August and up 75.8% for 2020. Tesla was up 74.1% for August and 495.6% for 2020.
On Monday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average underwent three changes: Salesforce.com Inc. CRM, +0.57% replaced Exxon Mobil Corp. XOM, -1.84%, Amgen Inc. AMGN, +0.07% replaced Pfizer Inc. PFE, -0.31%, and Honeywell International Inc. HON, -1.68% replaced Raytheon Technologies Corp. RTX, -1.99%.
Here are the big winners among U.S. stocks during a sizzling August, MarketWatch, Sep 1
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/here-are-the-big-winners-among-u-s-stocks-during-a-sizzling-august-20200901/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Economic calendar due from Asia today – China monthly loan rate setting June 20, 2021 at 09:10PM
- NEWS: UK media reports the UK lockdown will not be lifted on July 5 June 20, 2021 at 08:46PM
- NEWS: Monday morning open levels – indicative FX rates – 21 June 2021 June 20, 2021 at 08:30PM
- Weekly Fundamental Gold Price Forecast: The Tides Have Turned
- Markets Week Ahead: Gold, Dow, Pound-Dollar, BoE Rate Decision, Fed Risk, PMIs