August 20, 2020 at 12:06PM
Asian and European share markets fell on Thursday, after the U.S. Federal Reserve’s latest meeting minutes highlighted doubts about the recovery of the world’s largest economy and knocked Wall Street from recent record highs.
MSCI’s broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan had its biggest daily decline in five weeks while the MSCI world equity index, which tracks shares in 49 countries, was down 0.6% at 0738 GMT. The pan-European STOXX 600 was down 0.9% and London’s FTSE 100 fell 0.8%.
The Fed’s minutes from its July meeting, which were released on Wednesday, highlighted doubts about the U.S. economic recovery, showing that the swift labour market rebound seen in May and June had likely slowed.
Several Fed policymakers said they may need to ease monetary policy to help get the economy through the coronavirus pandemic.
Despite the dovish minutes, U.S. Treasury yields and the dollar rose with investors focusing on parts of the minutes that showed policymakers downplaying the need for yield caps and targets. The dollar index, which measures the currency against a basket of major peers, was choppy overnight.
Spot gold rebounded overnight, after declining to a near one-week low on Wednesday, when markets were more bullish. It was up 0.6% , at $1,940.4478 per ounce.
Oil prices fell, as major producers warned of a risk to demand recovery. OPEC and its allies pressed oil nations that are pumping above output targets to cut more in August to September. Brent crude was down 32 cents, or 0.7%, at $45.05 a barrel while U.S. oil was down 38 cents, or 0.9%, at $42.55 a barrel.
Global stocks fall as markets still rattled by Fed minutes, Reuters, Aug 20
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/global-stocks-fall-as-markets-still-rattled-by-fed-minutes-20200820/
Selected by fonecable.com
- Australian Dollar Forecast: AUD/USD May Rise as Dovish Fed Calms Yields, US Dollar
- NEWS: Non-trend transitions to Trend. Make that simple phrase a part of your trading mindset. April 16, 2021 at 09:28PM
- NEWS: ForexLive Americas FX news wrap: Cable powers higher in outside reversal April 16, 2021 at 09:20PM
- NEWS: US stocks hit another closing record as the party continues April 16, 2021 at 09:05PM
- NEWS: CFTC Commitments of Traders: Little changes in the futures net position data for the week April 16, 2021 at 08:39PM