March 31, 2020 at 11:57AM
U.S. stock index futures rose on Tuesday at the end of one of Wall Street’s worst first quarters on record, as an unexpected expansion in Chinese factory activity raised hopes of a more stable economic recovery from the coronavirus pandemic.
A rebound in oil prices from 18-year lows after the United States and Russia agreed to discuss stabilizing energy markets helped lift shares of Exxon Mobil and Chevron about 4% in light premarket trading.
Cruise operators and airlines — among the most battered stocks as the corornavirus outbreak brought global travel to a standstill this month — also rose between 6% and 9%.
China’s official manufacturing purchasing managers’ index (PMI) bounced to 52.0 in March, up from a record-low 35.7 in February, but analysts cautioned that a durable near-term recovery is far from assured as the global coronavirus crisis knocks foreign demand. At 05:46 a.m. ET, Dow e-minis were up 122 points, or 0.55%, S&P 500 e-minis were up 14.5 points, or 0.56% and Nasdaq 100 e-minis were up 76 points, or 0.97%.
SPDR S&P 500 ETFs were up 0.46%. The S&P 500 index closed up 3.35% at 2,626.65 on Monday. Despite the recent rally, the slump from the mid February record highs has set the Dow Jones .DJI on course for its worst first quarter ever, while the S&P 500 is on track for its worst since 1938. The tech-heavy Nasdaq is set to close out its worst first three months of the year since 2008.
Futures rise at end of dismal first quarter, Reuters, Mar 31
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/futures-rise-at-end-of-dismal-first-quarter-20200331/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Dallas Fed services sector index -41.7 vs -83.9 prior May 27, 2020 at 03:32PM
- NEWS: The Chinese yuan is on the brink of a major break May 27, 2020 at 03:16PM
- NEWS: May Richmond Fed manufacturing index -27 vs -40 expected May 27, 2020 at 02:59PM
- NEWS: What is a central bank blackout period? May 27, 2020 at 02:59PM
- NEWS: The Australian dollar is sending a negative signal May 27, 2020 at 02:52PM
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP Charts
- NEWS: NZDUSD trades above its 100 day moving average for the 1st time since February 12 May 26, 2020 at 03:31PM
- NEWS: Boeing said to be set to announce significant US job cuts this week May 27, 2020 at 04:29AM
- NEWS: ECB's Villeroy: PEPP is a 'masterpiece' May 26, 2020 at 07:47AM
- NEWS: JPMorgan Dimon: Hope economy starts to recover in 3Q after weak 2Q May 26, 2020 at 05:43PM
- NEWS: USD/CAD falls to post-pandemic low in technical breakdown May 26, 2020 at 01:07PM
- NEWS: Gold stays below the 100/200 hour MA May 26, 2020 at 07:21PM
- NEWS: TD trade of the week: Buy CHF/JPY May 26, 2020 at 06:21PM
- NEWS: More from BoC Gov Poloz - negative rates needed in extreme conditions May 26, 2020 at 11:22PM
- NEWS: Economic calendar due from Asia today - RBNZ, Bank of Canada, China profits May 26, 2020 at 08:59PM