February 14, 2020 at 11:46AM
The price of gold rallied on Thursday after an unexpected surge in reported coronavirus infections curbed appetite for risk. While stocks have recovered from an early-morning slump, gold continued to hold gains heading into the close. Futures on April gold deliveries rose $10.10, or 0.6%, to $1,581.70 a troy ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The rally more than offset an early-week slump in bullion prices after stocks returned to record highs.
A total of 14,840 people were diagnosed with the novel disease after Hubei, one of the centers of the epidemic, broadened its methodology for determining infections. At last check, there were more than 60,300 confirmed cases of coronavirus in 30 countries and territories. The White House believes China may be under-reporting the number of infections “by at least 100,000,” according to Edward Lawrence, a correspondent with FOX Business. In a Thursday tweet, Lawrence said the administration also believes China is “severely” understating the death toll.
Gold usually provides a safe bet for investors in times of rising inflation. Even by the government’s own measures, inflation is running higher than interest rates. Gold is likely to continue rising so long as real interest rates are falling. Even in a nominal sense, interest rates have been in free-fall over the past year-and-a-half. Since September 2018, the U.S. 10-year Treasury yield has plunged by half. On Thursday, the yield was hovering around 1.61%, according to CNBC data.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/explosion-in-coronavirus-cases-sends-gold-to-10-day-high-20200214/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NZD/USD Rate Rebound Vulnerable to New Zealand Trade Balance Deficit
- NEWS: US CDC travel warning on South Korea is now at to level 3, the highest February 25, 2020 at 01:32AM
- NEWS: Survey of Australian businesses: 1 in 6 say they have already been affected by the coronavirus February 25, 2020 at 01:27AM
- NEWS: PBOC sets USD/ CNY reference rate for today at 7.0232 February 25, 2020 at 01:16AM
- NEWS: Australian newspaper front page today, under the footy is the coronavirus ‘pandemic’ February 25, 2020 at 01:10AM
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)
- NEWS: Dow falls 1000 points February 24, 2020 at 05:18PM
- NEWS: United Airlines cut 2020 forecast, citing coronavirus impact February 24, 2020 at 10:32PM
- NEWS: US President Trump says "Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA" February 24, 2020 at 09:43PM
- NEWS: Crude oil trades near session lows and tests June, August, October 2019 lows February 24, 2020 at 05:37PM
- NEWS: Here is what’s on the economic calendar in Asia today February 24, 2020 at 08:56PM
- NEWS: Dollar moves a bit higher as gold comes off February 24, 2020 at 08:07PM
- NEWS: The USDJPY moves toward 200 hour MA and bounces February 24, 2020 at 03:12PM
- NEWS: More from Fed's Mester: Monday's market reaction to the coronavirus is 'one day' February 24, 2020 at 09:16PM
- NEWS: Feel like it’s time to achieve your investment goal and boost your income? February 24, 2020 at 04:32PM