June 11, 2021 at 07:37AM
International Monetary Fund (IMF) spokesman Gerry Rice said the organization is following developments in El Salvador “closely” ahead of a meeting with the nation’s officials on Thursday. The IMF believes El Salvador’s move to adopt bitcoin as legal tender raises various issues, the spokesperson said. Earlier this week the Central American country became the first in the world to recognize the cryptocurrency as legal tender and mandate its acceptance across all businesses.
Rice said on Thursday that “adoption of bitcoin as legal tender raises a number of macroeconomic, financial and legal issues that require very careful analysis so we are following developments closely and will continue our consultation with authorities.”
A supermajority of the nation’s legislature voted in favor of President Nayib Bukele’s proposal for the Latin American nation to adopt bitcoin on Tuesday.
El Salvador’s Bitcoin Bill Raises ‘Issues’: IMF Spokesperson, CoinDesk, Jun 11
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/crypto/el-salvadors-bitcoin-bill-raises-issues-imf-spokesperson-20210611/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: EU officially lifts travel restrictions for US residents June 18, 2021 at 10:35AM
- Canadian Dollar Outlook – USD/CAD Surge Now Hitting Extreme Levels
- NEWS: China reportedly considering further shift in birth policy, possibly doing away with restrictions by 2025 June 18, 2021 at 09:37AM
- NEWS: 10-year Treasury yields retreat further to pre-FOMC lows June 18, 2021 at 09:19AM
- Dollar’s triumph and impulsive Nasdaq’s jump