June 30, 2020 at 12:02PM
The dollar held on to modest gains on Tuesday as upbeat U.S. home sales and Chinese factory data left traders torn between optimism about global growth rebounding and fears a surge in new COVID-19 cases could jeopardise a swift V-shaped recovery. California and Texas saw record rises in new infections on Monday while in Britain, a reinforced lockdown was imposed in the city of Leicester.
News on the economic front was far better with Wall Street getting a boost from the U.S. housing market quickly recovering in May from a plunge triggered by the pandemic. A warning from U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell that the outlook for the world’s biggest economy was “extraordinarily uncertain”, however, kept investors on their toes. Against a basket of currencies, the dollar index was up 0.27% at 97.686 while the euro lost 0.3% at $1.1209.
Earlier the Chinese yuan and the Australian dollar gained slightly after a survey showed China’s factory activity expanded at a stronger pace in June, beating expectations of slowdown from last month. The offshore yuan rose 0.1% to 7.072 per dollar while the Aussie dropped 0.2% to $0.6854. The market shrugged off news that China’s parliament passed national security legislation for Hong Kong. That came after the United States earlier began eliminating Hong Kong’s special status under U.S. law.
Dollar stable, markets torn between upbeat data and virus fears, Reuters, Jun 30
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/dollar-stable-markets-torn-between-upbeat-data-and-virus-fears-20200630/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Full slate of economic news and data coming up for New York trade July 16, 2020 at 12:25PM
- NEWS: ForexLive European FX news wrap: Dollar slightly firmer as risk keeps more defensive July 16, 2020 at 11:56AM
- Carson Block Warns Tesla Short Sellers: ‘I Wouldn’t Do That’
- Futures, Stocks Retreat; Euro Slips Ahead of ECB
- Apple, Biden, Musk and other high-profile Twitter accounts hacked in crypto scam
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: Australian employment change +210.8(expected +100K) & Unemployment 7.4% (exp. 7.3%) July 16, 2020 at 02:30AM
- US Dollar Forecast: Testing Major Channel Support - Levels for DXY Index
- NEWS: Pres. Trump: Has completed overall of infrastructure approval process July 15, 2020 at 08:48PM
- NEWS: Macklem opening statement: BOC will be there to provide stimulus for extended period July 15, 2020 at 04:06PM
- NEWS: WTI crude oil futures settle at $41.20 July 15, 2020 at 07:40PM
- NEWS: BOJ as expected, no change to monetary policy July 15, 2020 at 03:57AM
- Is the Chinese stock rally over?
- NEWS: USDCAD trades near the low of the channel trend line July 15, 2020 at 02:58PM
- NEWS: Germany's Roth: Some EU countries are pressing for focus on loans rather than grants July 15, 2020 at 05:15PM
- NEWS: AUDUSD tries to stay above the old ceiling July 15, 2020 at 07:19PM