May 23, 2020 at 08:10AM
Another 2.4 million Americans filed for unemployment insurance last week even as states across the US began opening up for business again, betting that the coronavirus pandemic is now under control.
The latest figures from the Department of Labor mean close to 39 million Americans have lost their jobs in just nine weeks. The rate of weekly losses has slowed sharply from its peak of 6.6m at the start of April but remains at levels unseen since the 1930s Great Depression.
This week the treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, said he expects unemployment to continue to rise as the pandemic takes its toll, but warned of “permanent damage” to the economy if the lockdowns are prolonged.
The weekly jobless claims are seen as a proxy for layoffs, but they do not necessarily give the most accurate picture of the unemployment situation. A claim is an application for unemployment benefits, and not every person who is laid off immediately applies for benefits.
The weekly unemployment claims are also still being affected by a backlog collapse of claims that overwhelmed many state systems.
The official unemployment rate is now 14.7%, the worst since records began. A decade’s worth of job gains have been wiped out, and most economists believe the real figure is higher and expect unemployment to rise to well above 20% in the coming months.
US unemployment rises by 2.4m despite easing of coronavirus lockdowns, TheGuardian, May 21
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/market-snapshots/department-of-labor-39-million-americans-have-lost-their-jobs-in-just-nine-weeks-20200523/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Dallas Fed services sector index -41.7 vs -83.9 prior May 27, 2020 at 03:32PM
- NEWS: The Chinese yuan is on the brink of a major break May 27, 2020 at 03:16PM
- NEWS: May Richmond Fed manufacturing index -27 vs -40 expected May 27, 2020 at 02:59PM
- NEWS: What is a central bank blackout period? May 27, 2020 at 02:59PM
- NEWS: The Australian dollar is sending a negative signal May 27, 2020 at 02:52PM
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP Charts
- NEWS: NZDUSD trades above its 100 day moving average for the 1st time since February 12 May 26, 2020 at 03:31PM
- NEWS: Boeing said to be set to announce significant US job cuts this week May 27, 2020 at 04:29AM
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)
- NEWS: ECB's Villeroy: PEPP is a 'masterpiece' May 26, 2020 at 07:47AM
- NEWS: USD/CAD falls to post-pandemic low in technical breakdown May 26, 2020 at 01:07PM
- NEWS: Gold stays below the 100/200 hour MA May 26, 2020 at 07:21PM
- NEWS: TD trade of the week: Buy CHF/JPY May 26, 2020 at 06:21PM
- NEWS: More from BoC Gov Poloz - negative rates needed in extreme conditions May 26, 2020 at 11:22PM
- NEWS: Economic calendar due from Asia today - RBNZ, Bank of Canada, China profits May 26, 2020 at 08:59PM