July 31, 2020 at 05:23PM
It’s physical gold. It’s crypto. It’s government-backed. It’s a new product from a Silicon Valley company mutating gold and crypto into a single unit. And it’s as deeply fear-soaked as anything since, well, 2020.
Today Uphold, a digital investment platform based in San Francisco, announced what it calls “a better form of gold”: Universal Gold. Users can buy the gold crypto UPXAU — a token verifiable on the Ethereum blockchain and audited by the security firm CertiK — and Uphold instantly contracts to buy physical gold from the Government of Western Australia.
From that moment, the investor owns the gold. She can spend parts of it using her Uphold credit card, or take physical delivery: Uphold will send the FedEx FDX -2.3% guy with the click of a mouse.
UPXAU is to crypto finance what “clicks and mortar” was to e-commerce, a simultaneous merger of the digital and the physical. It all started back in March, when one of Uphold’s investors, a dyed-in-the-wool gold bug, stumbled upon GoldPass, an Australian government program issuing certificates that guaranteed physical delivery of gold. He immediately called Uphold CEO J.P. Thieriot who used the program to create the Universal Gold token.
“The gold is held with the Perth Mint, the largest refiner of new gold in the world,” says Thieriot. “The mint issues a gold certificate, one token equals one certificate which equals one ounce. One-to-one-to-one. When you buy the token, you’re buying gold. It’s not hypothecated, it’s not fractional. You’re buying gold.”
Thieriot hopes this appeals to paranoid gold bugs who have long wrestled with the problem that buying physical gold is hard to do. It’s expensive to store, often incurring monthly custody fees of around 0.4%, and has traditionally been expensive to liquidate and turn into cash.
During 2020, the ranks of the fearful have grown. And have you read a newspaper lately? Those ranks are surely still growing. No surprise gold is up 26% this year and Bitcoin has risen 55%.
Gold might be the exception to the rule that, in the end, the purpose of a tool is to be useful. In the end, it may be that the value of Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP and others will lie in their functionality — not just the idea that some other moron will show up and pay more for it.
But for investors right now, liquid assets with limited supply are all the rage, be they Bitcoin or gold. Or, today, Universal Gold.
Crypto Gold — It’s A Thing! New Stablecoin Checks All The 2020 Fear Boxes, Forbes, Jul 31
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/crypto-gold-new-stablecoin-on-the-market-20200731/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: China top diplomat calls for US to create favourable conditions for implementation of Phase One trade deal August 07, 2020 at 10:25AM
- NEWS: BOE’s Ramsden: We are not actively planning for negative rates August 07, 2020 at 09:54AM
- NEWS: Morgan Stanley moves away from bearish stance on the dollar, turns to “tactically neutral” August 07, 2020 at 09:49AM
- NEWS: BOE’s Ramsden: Debt, higher borrowing was a necessary response to the pandemic August 07, 2020 at 09:38AM
- Will the U.S. employment report save the dollar?
Top Posts & Pages
- European banks expect fewer bad loans than their American rivals August 06, 2020 at 10:09PM
- NEWS: Trade ideas thread - Friday 7 August 2020 August 06, 2020 at 09:54PM
- NEWS: US official: Trump order relates to WeChat, not other Tencent transactions August 07, 2020 at 05:10AM
- NEWS: Amazon's Bezos sold $1.9 billion of his shares …. yours! August 06, 2020 at 12:56AM
- NEWS: USDCHF moves toward MA targets (and other resistance targets). August 06, 2020 at 03:40PM
- NEWS: AUDUSD spikes to a new session high August 06, 2020 at 03:08PM
- Bitcoin pushed up by Wall Street greed
- NEWS: Here is what’s on the economic calendar in Asia today - Friday 7 August 2020 August 06, 2020 at 09:00PM
- NEWS: ForexLive Americas FX news wrap: AUD leads the way with sentiment upbeat ahead of NFP August 06, 2020 at 09:15PM
- Beirut after the blast: the crunch of glass, acrid smoke and stairs slick with blood August 06, 2020 at 12:09AM