January 24, 2020 at 12:30PM
China is struggling to contain rising public anger over its response to a spreading coronavirus even as it took unprecedented steps to slow the outbreak, restricting travel for 40 million people on the eve of Lunar New Year. The government ordered travel agencies to suspend sales of domestic and international package tours after imposing transport curbs on cities near the center of the outbreak. The turmoil comes as the virus stymies efforts to track infected patients. While the death toll continues to rise — and now includes someone as young as 36 — some infected patients aren’t showing a fever, a symptom governments around the world have been using to screen for the pathogen.
The pressure is rising on China as it tries to come to grips with a disease that some fear could rival SARS, which 17 years ago claimed almost 800 lives. While global experts have mostly praised efforts to contain the virus, Chinese citizens are increasingly critical and anxious as travel restrictions grow to encompass a population bigger than Australia.
The death toll rose to 25, even as the World Health Organization stopped short of calling the virus a global health emergency. The number of confirmed cases in mainland China rose to more than 800 as of Jan. 23, the National Health Commission said in a statement. At least one patient is as young as 10 years old.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/china-locks-down-40-million-people-as-anger-grows-over-virus-20200124/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: European indices end the session lower but off lowest levels February 21, 2020 at 04:51PM
- NEWS: USDCHF retraces back toward swing area/100 bar MA on the 4-hour chart February 21, 2020 at 04:41PM
- NEWS: Saudi Arabia energy minister: WSJ story on cuts of output is “absurd and utter nonsense” February 21, 2020 at 04:23PM
- NEWS: New York Fed Nowcast rises to 2% from 1.4% this week February 21, 2020 at 04:22PM
- NEWS: USDCAD tests 200 day MA for third day in a row February 21, 2020 at 04:07PM
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: ForexLive European FX news wrap: USD/JPY hits nine-month high February 19, 2020 at 12:42PM
- NEWS: Japan CPI data from earlier - strip out the sales tax and core was 0.4% only February 21, 2020 at 03:01AM
- NEWS: Canada Teranet new house price index for January 0.1% versus 0.2% last month February 20, 2020 at 01:33PM
- GBP Charts
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)
- NEWS: BOJ's Kuroda: BOJ will examine ways to end ETF buying when inflation approaches its target February 21, 2020 at 03:15AM
- NEWS: ANZ note AUD/USD is 4 cents under fair value model February 21, 2020 at 04:11AM
- NEWS: All foreigners in North Korea are quarantined until March 1 February 21, 2020 at 04:18AM
- NEWS: Coronavirus has halted most China-Europe freight trains February 21, 2020 at 01:23AM
- NEWS: China Commerce Ministry says expects foreign firms in most places in China will resume production by end-February February 21, 2020 at 02:39AM