July 13, 2020 at 10:57AM
The global leadership vacuum during the coronavirus crisis is an “open door” for China to walk through, said Kevin Rudd, president of the Asia Society Policy Institute. The former Australian prime minister said the U.S. has presented an opportunity for Beijing to seize global leadership during the pandemic.
From China’s perspective, looking “at the debacle of the U.S. domestic management of Covid-19 and the failure of the U.S. to provide global leadership and response to what is a global public health and economic crisis, then it’s very difficult sitting in Beijing not to identify a leadership vacuum and to walk right into it,” Rudd told CNBC’s “Squawk Box Asia” on Monday.
That also comes as the U.S. is criticizing and walking away from allies and multilateral institutions like the World Trade Organization and the World Health Organization, said Rudd, who is also a longtime China scholar. “From Beijing’s perspective, this represents an open door and the Chinese — opportunistically or otherwise — they walk straight in,” he said.
The developments are due to changes in China’s foreign policy under President Xi Jinping’s leadership, said Rudd, who said the shifts started toward the end of 2013. Since then, China’s outspoken, assertive foreign policy turn has been ruffling feathers globally as countries are reacting to the change to the status quo ante, said Rudd. Other than Australia, China’s traditionally strong trading and economic partners such as Canada, India, Japan and the U.K. are also facing issues in their ties with the East Asian country.
China is stepping into global leadership vacuum as U.S. struggles with coronavirus, says Kevin Rudd, CNBC, Jul 13
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/china-is-stepping-into-global-leadership-vacuum-as-u-s-struggles-with-coronavirus-20200713/
Selected by fonecable.com
- Dollar Up, But Gains Capped by U.S. Stimulus Package Stalemate
- NEWS: More from RBA’s Ellis – job support packages will make recovery a little stronger August 07, 2020 at 03:18AM
- NEWS: ICYMI – Russia and China are partnering to reduce their dependence on the US dollar August 07, 2020 at 03:13AM
- NEWS: RBA’s Ellis says will maintain loose policy for as long as required August 07, 2020 at 02:46AM
- Indian Rupee, USD/INR Look Past RBI Rate Hold. Nifty 50 Uptrend Holds
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: AUDUSD spikes to a new session high August 06, 2020 at 03:08PM
- NEWS: Here is what’s on the economic calendar in Asia today - Friday 7 August 2020 August 06, 2020 at 09:00PM
- NEWS: ForexLive Americas FX news wrap: AUD leads the way with sentiment upbeat ahead of NFP August 06, 2020 at 09:15PM
- Bitcoin pushed up by Wall Street greed
- NEWS: Amazon's Bezos sold $1.9 billion of his shares …. yours! August 06, 2020 at 12:56AM
- NEWS: Trade ideas thread - Friday 7 August 2020 August 06, 2020 at 09:54PM
- NEWS: European shares end the day lower. UK's FTSE falls -1.1%. August 06, 2020 at 04:44PM
- NEWS: Ohio governor DeWine tests positive for COVID-19 August 06, 2020 at 05:31PM
- NEWS: USDCHF moves toward MA targets (and other resistance targets). August 06, 2020 at 03:40PM
- NEWS: Goldman Sachs non - farm payroll preview (NFP) August 06, 2020 at 10:39PM