“Checks and Balance”—our weekly podcast on American politics
THE SIGNIFICANCE of the 2020 election in America was clear well before covid-19 hit. Americans will now be delivering a verdict on a transformative president amid the gravest crisis for generations.
The Economist’s newest podcast, “Checks and Balance” launched as the crisis took hold. Our US Editor John Prideaux hosts, together with Charlotte Howard, New York bureau chief, and Washington correspondent Jon Fasman.
Every Friday, we take a theme shaping US politics and tap into America’s rich history to answer some big questions:
- How has Donald Trump remade the world?
- How do you hold an election in a pandemic?
- Why is the president trying to raise oil prices?
- How powerful is the Democratic machine?
- Is America ceding global leadership?
Each episode draws on the rigour and expertise of The Economist’s journalists across the US and around the world to dig into the data, the ideas, and the history shaping the race for the White House.
On the latest episode of “Checks and Balance”: after a deliberately quiet few months, Presidential frontrunner Joe Biden seized the news cycle this week by announcing Senator Kamala Harris as his running mate. We hear about what she really stands for. And we ask what her time as California’s Attorney General tells us about how she would wield power in practice.
The podcast is complemented by our “Checks and Balance” newsletter, and in this package we aim to give our readers and listeners fair-minded analysis in what will be an emotionally charged media environment. Sign up for our Checks and Balance newsletter on American politics here.
And to dig deeper:
Author: | Post link: https://www.economist.com/podcasts/2020/08/14/checks-and-balance-our-weekly-podcast-on-american-politics
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: NASDAQ reverses. The index trades negative on the year. March 04, 2021 at 03:02PM
- Central Bank Watch: BOE & ECB Interest Rate Expectations Update
- NEWS: US January factory orders +2.6% vs +2.1% expected March 04, 2021 at 03:00PM
- NEWS: Stocks open with modest gains after yesterdays declines March 04, 2021 at 02:36PM
- Bitcoin Hovers Below $50K as Traders Await Fed’s Take on Bond Yields