July 31, 2020 at 08:09PM
“Checks and Balance”—our weekly podcast on American politics
THE SIGNIFICANCE of the 2020 election in America was clear well before covid-19 hit. Americans will now be delivering a verdict on a transformative president amid the gravest crisis for generations.
The Economist’s newest podcast, “Checks and Balance” launched as the crisis took hold. Our US Editor John Prideaux hosts, together with Charlotte Howard, New York bureau chief, and Washington correspondent Jon Fasman.
Every Friday, we take a theme shaping US politics and tap into America’s rich history to answer some big questions:
- How has Donald Trump remade the world?
- How do you hold an election in a pandemic?
- Why is the president trying to raise oil prices?
- How powerful is the Democratic machine?
- Is America ceding global leadership?
Each episode draws on the rigour and expertise of The Economist’s journalists across the US and around the world to dig into the data, the ideas, and the history shaping the race for the White House.
On the latest episode of “Checks and Balance”: twice recently an eruption in middle America has shocked the world. Four years ago voters in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania were decisive in putting Donald Trump in the White House. Two months ago, George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis prompted debate on racism everywhere.
In a special episode on the Midwest, the region’s role in the 2020 election and America’s future, we hear from Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot, her predecessor Rahm Emmanuel, and get the latest from The Economist’s election forecast.
Charlotte Howard, The Economist’s New York bureau chief, hosts with Washington correspondent Jon Fasman and Midwest correspondent Adam Roberts.
The podcast is complemented by our "Checks and Balance" newsletter, and in this package we aim to give our readers and listeners fair-minded analysis in what will be an emotionally charged media environment. Sign up for our Checks and Balance newsletter on American politics here.
And to dig deeper:
Author: | Post link: https://www.economist.com/podcasts/2020/07/31/checks-and-balance-our-weekly-podcast-on-american-politics
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: UK May CBI trends total orders 19 vs 17 prior June 22, 2021 at 11:00AM
- NEWS: Dollar Index flat ahead of Powell speaking in US session June 22, 2021 at 10:36AM
- Gold Price Outlook: XAU/USD To Gain on Dovish Fed Speeches
- Canadian Dollar Technical Pattern Forming, Hints at a Bullish USD/CAD Continuation
- NEWS: OPEC+ discussing possible further increase of oil output from August June 22, 2021 at 10:08AM