January 23, 2020 at 08:49PM
A growing number of voices are calling for the U.S. to issue a “digital dollar” as China continues to work on a digital version of its own currency. Users of the U.S. dollar are “underserved by an analogue currency in a digital world,” Christopher Giancarlo, former chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), said during a side event at the World Economic Forum in Davos.
The comments come as China is working on a digital yuan which some experts believe could come this year.
It’s unclear what form a central bank issued digital currency could take. It could be built on blockchain-like architecture. Blockchain is the underlying technology behind the cryptocurrency bitcoin. But it doesn’t necessarily need to be. The promise of a central bank digital currency (CBDC) is that it could make cross-border movement of money easier and improve traceability to fight corruption or money laundering, according to Henri Arslanian, global crypto leader at PwC.
The digital dollar could be 10 to 15 years away, according to Jeff Schumacher, CEO of 55 Foundry, a company incubator and investor. “The advantaged position of the dollar as the global reserve currency is very powerful and the Fed wants to protect that position. A digital dollar may introduce volatility to the dollar which is undesirable in the short term,” Schumacher told CNBC.
The People’s Bank of China (PBOC) has said that it’s working on a digital version of the yuan, but has not given a timeline about when it could be issued. Some experts say that a digital yuan could help China’s currency internationalize and challenge the dominance of the U.S. dollar. “Ultimately I expect the digital yuan to play an important strategic role in China’s ongoing efforts to become a global financial superpower and compete with the U.S. dollar as the world’s number one reserve currency,” Garrick Hileman, head of research at Blockchain and researcher at the London School of Economics, told CNBC in a recent interview.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/calls-for-a-us-digital-dollar-rise-as-china-powers-ahead-with-a-digital-yuan-20200123/
Selected by fonecable.com
- USD Weekly Price Forecast: The US Dollar's Attraction Remains Strong
- Crude Oil Torn Between Iran Election, Coronavirus and G20 Summit
- USD Forecast: US Recession Odds Rekindled as Coronavirus Festers
- Australian Dollar Data Drought Leaves Virus Headlines in Charge
- NEWS: Mainland China official coronavirus deaths increase by 109, cases up 397 as of end February 21 February 22, 2020 at 12:37AM
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: China Commerce Ministry says expects foreign firms in most places in China will resume production by end-February February 21, 2020 at 02:39AM
- NEWS: BOJ's Kuroda: BOJ will examine ways to end ETF buying when inflation approaches its target February 21, 2020 at 03:15AM
- NEWS: BOEs Tenreyro: Economic impact of coronavirus may be large February 21, 2020 at 07:35PM
- NEWS: US crude oil futures settle at $53.38 February 21, 2020 at 07:44PM
- NEWS: Japan CPI data from earlier - strip out the sales tax and core was 0.4% only February 21, 2020 at 03:01AM
- NEWS: USDCHF retraces back toward swing area/100 bar MA on the 4-hour chart February 21, 2020 at 04:41PM
- NEWS: Coronavirus has halted most China-Europe freight trains February 21, 2020 at 01:23AM
- NEWS: Fed's Clarida and Mester to speak at the bottom of the hour February 21, 2020 at 06:26PM
- NEWS: All foreigners in North Korea are quarantined until March 1 February 21, 2020 at 04:18AM
- NEWS: ANZ note AUD/USD is 4 cents under fair value model February 21, 2020 at 04:11AM