May 29, 2020 at 09:04AM
British car production could slump this year to the lowest level in decades after the coronavirus pandemic forced factories to close and hit demand, according to an industry body.
Just 197 cars were made in April compared with 71,000 in the same month in 2019, leaving year-to-date production down over a quarter, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said.
Only some automotive sites have reopened since then with the country’s largest car plant, Nissan’s Sunderland facility, not set to resume production until next month.
Full-year production could fall to as low as around 870,000 vehicles, according to a forecast by AutoAnalysis for the SMMT, far below a recent nadir of 999,460 cars in 2009, during the financial crisis.
Prior to that, output last fell below 1 million in the early 1980s. This year, Britain’s economy may shrink by 13%, its deepest recession in three centuries, with two million people potentially losing their jobs, according to the country’s budget forecasters.
UK car output could fall to lowest level in decades after virus hit, CNBC, May 29
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/britain-only-built-197-cars-during-the-month-of-april-20200529/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Cable eases to a session low, tests key near-term level July 13, 2020 at 10:35AM
- NEWS: AUDUSD upside bias as long as risk on tones remain July 13, 2020 at 09:54AM
- NEWS: What to know before you start the day? July 13, 2020 at 09:51AM
- NEWS: Is the DXY correlated to the S&P500 July 13, 2020 at 09:37AM
- Hong Kong is no longer sufficiently autonomous to warrant the special treatment – Trump
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: US coronavirus - The latest Texas figures show cases up 3.3%, may be subject to weekend miscounting July 12, 2020 at 09:49PM
- Contact FC
- Markets Week Ahead: Gold Prices, Dow Jones, Earnings Season, Euro, ECB
- NEWS: New Zealand data, June food price +0.5% m/m (prior -0.8%)s July 13, 2020 at 12:20AM
- NEWS: France's Le Maire: Consumption activity is just 5% lower than normal July 13, 2020 at 07:11AM
- NEWS: SNB total sight deposits w.e. 10 July CHF 688.6 bn vs CHF 687.0 bn prior July 13, 2020 at 09:00AM
- NEWS: European equities open higher to start the day July 13, 2020 at 08:06AM
- US Dollar Fundamental Outlook: USD/SGD, USD/MYR, USD/IDR, USD/PHP
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)
- NEWS: Australia coronavirus outbreak in Melbourne - new cases 177 for the day July 13, 2020 at 02:13AM