February 14, 2020 at 09:50AM
Crypto analysts are split on whether bitcoin’s rise this year is driven by unique factors or is just its latest bout of volatility. But many agree on one factor: an upcoming cut to the supply of bitcoin. Bitcoin has soared by almost half this year, to more than $10,000, for the first time since October. On Tuesday it hit its highest in five months. The cryptocurrency’s 11-year history is replete with fast ascents and equally rapid plunges. In late 2017, it rose three and a half times in just 35 days to reach almost $20,000. It then slumped 70% in seven weeks.
In the year after the two previous halvings, in November 2012 and July 2016, bitcoin rose around by 80 times and four times respectively. The exact proportion of the gains caused by the halving is unclear. But others doubt bitcoin’s latest rally is underpinned by anything more substantial than the previous booms. Major cryptocurrencies that tend to move in correlation with bitcoin have also gained this year. Ethereum has more than doubled; Ripple’s XRP token is up over 75%.
Also widely cited are expectations that cryptocurrencies will go mainstream, as central banks step up their research into digital currencies after Facebook’s push to offer its Libra coin. Some, such as China’s, are getting closer to issuing their own coins. And in comments that traders said stoked buying in bitcoin, U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell told U.S. lawmakers on Tuesday that the Fed was “working hard” on the issue, while it remained undecided on any digital dollar.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/bitcoin-rally-2020-is-another-flash-in-the-night-20200214/
Selected by fonecable.com
- Crude Oil Price Outlook Hinges on OPEC Meeting
- NEWS: Nikkei 225 closes lower by 3.34% at 22,605.41 February 25, 2020 at 06:05AM
- NEWS: Trade ideas thread – European session 25 February 2020 February 25, 2020 at 05:57AM
- US Dollar, USD/MYR Outlook: Malaysia Eyes Coronavirus, Political Risks
- NEWS: Economic data coming up in the European session February 25, 2020 at 05:21AM
Top Posts & Pages
- NEWS: ICYMI - Fed's Mester sees US economy performing well, coronavirus a big risk February 25, 2020 at 01:51AM
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)
- NEWS: United Airlines cut 2020 forecast, citing coronavirus impact February 24, 2020 at 10:32PM
- NEWS: Dow falls 1000 points February 24, 2020 at 05:18PM
- NEWS: US House Speaker Pelosi says Trump's request for coronavirus funding overdue and inadequate February 25, 2020 at 04:22AM
- NEWS: US President Trump says "Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA" February 24, 2020 at 09:43PM
- NEWS: Dollar moves a bit higher as gold comes off February 24, 2020 at 08:07PM
- NEWS: Goldman cuts 1Q GDP to 1.2% on coronavirus February 24, 2020 at 05:04PM
- NEWS: USD/JPY to 120? Here are a 2 reasons. February 24, 2020 at 10:22PM
- NEWS: The USDJPY moves toward 200 hour MA and bounces February 24, 2020 at 03:12PM