January 16, 2020 at 05:18PM
Almost a quarter of the world’s countries witnessed a surge in protest and unrest last year and that figure is set to rise further in 2020, according to a new study. There are 195 countries in the world, if the Vatican and Palestine are included, and a newly released index of civil unrest has claimed that 47 of those states witnessed a rise in civil unrest in 2019.
The data model, published Thursday by socio-economic and political analysis firm Verisk Maplecroft, has also predicted that in 2020, the number will balloon to 75 countries. The U.K. consultancy identified Hong Kong and Chile as the two flashpoints suffering the largest increases in unrest since the beginning of 2019. Neither country is expected to find peace for at least two years, according to the research.
Other areas now considered hotbeds of civil protest include Nigeria, Lebanon and Bolivia. Beyond these three, countries dropping into a category labeled “extreme risk” include Ethiopia, India, Pakistan and Zimbabwe. Sudan has been locked in crisis since ruler Omar al-Bashir was overthrown in April. The country has been beset by protests and killings as military forces battle pro-democracy supporters to control the country.
Conflict in Yemen has been raging since 2015 as Shia and Sunni Muslim forces wrestle for power. Countries identified in this troubling bracket include the highly influential nations of Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Thailand and Brazil. The U.K.-based analysts claim that as 2019 is unlikely to be a “flash in the pan,” companies and investors will have to adapt to increased unrest.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/almost-40-of-the-worlds-countries-will-witness-civil-unrest-in-2020-research-claims-20200116/
Selected by fonecable.com
- The dollar retreats as investors look to alternatives
- Gold Soars to a Fresh All-Time High, Silver at its Best Level in Seven-Years
- RationalFX Daily Market Report
- NEWS: Risk in a more cheerful spot so far on the day August 05, 2020 at 10:28AM
- NEWS: Eurozone June retail sales +5.7% vs +6.1% m/m expected August 05, 2020 at 10:00AM
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)
- NEWS: Here is what’s on the economic calendar in Asia today - Wednesday 5 August 2020 August 04, 2020 at 09:00PM
- NEWS: AUD/USD above the top of its fair value range August 04, 2020 at 04:21AM
- NEWS: USDCAD reverses to new session lows August 04, 2020 at 04:35PM
- NEWS: UK press report that UK Chancellor Sunak talks of rate hike August 04, 2020 at 09:37PM
- GBP Charts
- NEWS: Australian June housing finance data, home loans up 6.2% m/m (0.0% expected) August 05, 2020 at 02:31AM
- NEWS: Spot gold hits $2000 for the first time ever August 04, 2020 at 05:20PM
- NEWS: Bank of England Monetary Policy Committee meeting Thursday - preview August 04, 2020 at 04:47AM
- NEWS: USDJPY tilts toward the day lows and MA targets August 04, 2020 at 07:12PM