February 14, 2020 at 12:11PM
Investors poured money into most asset classes last week, with bond funds attracting $23.6 billion and equities and emerging markets benefiting too, analysts at BofA said, noting the high levels of cheap money available after 800 rate cuts worldwide since the financial crisis. Bond funds saw their biggest weekly inflows ever, while equity funds pulled in $12.5 billion in the week to Wednesday, mainly driven by technology and emerging market stocks as fears over the impact of the coronavirus eased.
As infection rates slowed, high-yield bonds saw their strongest weekly inflows in 21 weeks at $3.4 billion and emerging market equities pulled in $2.7 billion, the bank said. Risk assets such as the U.S. benchmark S&P 500 .SPX and the pan-European STOXX 600 indexes set fresh records in the week, driven by ultra-loose monetary policy and a thriving tech sector.
BofA’s chief investment strategist Michael Hartnett said the bank remains “irrationally bullish” in the first quarter as positioning is not yet “euphoric”. The S&P 500 is currently trading at a 12-month-forward price-to-earnings ratio of 18.8, well above its 30-year average, and Hartnett recommended his clients sell stocks when the ratio crosses 20. Tech stocks have been the biggest drivers of the index’s surge over the last decade, even though the U.S. Federal Trade Commission has recently raised concerns that companies such as Apple (AAPL.O), Facebook (FB.O) and Amazon (AMZN.O) are unfairly engaging in potential anti-competitive behaviour.
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/800-rate-cuts-on-and-investors-throw-money-at-everything-bofa-20200214/
Selected by fonecable.com
- Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum Forecast: BTC/USD, ETH/USD, XRP/USD
- NEWS: Japan PM Abe says preparing further measures on coronavirus February 25, 2020 at 03:59AM
- NEWS: Hong Kong schools to remain closed until after Easter February 25, 2020 at 03:47AM
- NEWS: FX option expiries for Tuesday February 25 at the 10am NY cut February 25, 2020 at 03:44AM
- Malaysia’s Mahathir returns as interim PM amid political uncertainty
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP/USD (Mobile View)
- NEWS: Dow falls 1000 points February 24, 2020 at 05:18PM
- NEWS: ICYMI - Fed's Mester sees US economy performing well, coronavirus a big risk February 25, 2020 at 01:51AM
- NEWS: United Airlines cut 2020 forecast, citing coronavirus impact February 24, 2020 at 10:32PM
- NEWS: US President Trump says "Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA" February 24, 2020 at 09:43PM
- NEWS: More from Fed's Mester: Monday's market reaction to the coronavirus is 'one day' February 24, 2020 at 09:16PM
- NEWS: Here is what’s on the economic calendar in Asia today February 24, 2020 at 08:56PM
- NEWS: The USDJPY moves toward 200 hour MA and bounces February 24, 2020 at 03:12PM
- NEWS: Dollar moves a bit higher as gold comes off February 24, 2020 at 08:07PM
- 5 Economic Indicators That Could Rock the U.S. Stock Market This Week