October 30, 2020 at 09:39AM
Gold demand in India fell 30% in the previous quarter, but a sense of “cautious optimism” has returned to the market, according to the World Gold Council. India is one of the largest markets for gold.
Jewelry demand in India between July to September fell 48% year-on-year to 52.8 tonnes from around 101.6 tonnes a year earlier, the organization said in a report. But demand for gold as an investment rose 52% to 33.8 tonnes on-year.
Overall gold demand — which includes jewelry and investment — fell in the quarter ending September, but the decline was less severe than the 70% drop seen in the previous three months, Somasundaram PR, managing director for India at the World Gold Council, said in a statement.
“This has been partially due to easing of lockdown and some low prices in August that provided a small window of buying opportunities for the discerning,” he said.
The precious metal plays an important role in India’s culture — it’s considered auspicious to buy gold during festive occasions or to give gold jewelry as a gift at weddings. It is also seen as a symbol of affluence and a safe investment.
Somasundaram explained that demand for gold between July to September tends to be relatively low, driven by seasonal factors such as monsoons and inauspicious periods. The drop in demand for gold jewelry was also due to many festivals and weddings being canceled or postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic that has infected more than 8 million people in India.
Typically gold demand rises in the three months between October to December due to festivals such as Dussehra and Dhanteras — the first day marking the Diwali festival — as well as a busy wedding season. But high gold prices and the impact of the pandemic is set to affect sentiment and demand. Covid-19 triggered in lockdowns in India that slashed growth prospects and left millions unemployed.
Though there are expectations for some pent-up demand to surface in the current quarter, it is unlikely to offset a decline in full-year gold demand for India, according to the World Gold Council.
The World Gold Council’s gold demand trends report said global demand for gold declined 19% year-on-year to 892 tonnes for the July-September quarter — it was the lowest quarterly total since the third quarter of 2009.
Central banks sold 12.1 tonnes of gold in net sales in the July-September quarter for the first time since late 2010. That was driven primarily by central banks in Uzbekistan and Turkey while six others, including the Reserve Bank of India, modestly increased their gold reserves, according to the report.
Though overall demand for gold fell, the three months saw a significant uptick in investment demand which rose 21% year-on-year as investors bought gold bars, coins and gold-backed ETFs.
Gold is seen as a safe investment to put money in when markets face uncertainties or are volatile, which has been the case during the the pandemic and ahead of next week’s U.S. presidential election.
Spot gold rallied above $2,000 in August before pulling back to trade around the $1,900 level in recent weeks. It traded at around $1,869 an ounce on Friday afternoon at 1:51 p.m. HK/SIN.
Total supply of gold fell 3% year-on-year to 1,223.6 tonnes in the July-September quarter, tied to coronavirus-related restrictions at mines in the first-half of the year.
India’s gold demand fell 30%, but ‘cautious optimism’ may be returning, CNBC, Oct 30
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/indias-gold-demand-fell-30-20201030/
Selected by fonecable.com
- China to further expand outbound investor schemes: Xinhua
- US Dollar Forecast: USD Faces Immediate Downside Risks on Month-End Flows
- NEWS: UK poised to become the first western country to approve a Covid-19 vaccine November 28, 2020 at 10:26PM
- NEWS: UK Times says EU Commission President expected to speak with UK PM ‘within hours’ ( … but there’s a but) November 28, 2020 at 10:26PM
- NEWS: Boe Chief Economist Haldane highlight the 2 factors that could send inflation higher than expected November 28, 2020 at 10:26PM
More From FoneCable
- NEWS: OPEC+ liens toward extending oil production cuts for 2-3 months November 27, 2020 at 03:54PM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Israel likely behind the assassination of Iranian scientist November 27, 2020 at 03:51PM 27 November 2020
- AUDUSD Wave Analysis 27 November, 2020 27 November 2020
- NEWS: AUDUSD and NZDUSD trade to new highs November 27, 2020 at 03:21PM 27 November 2020
- Silver Wave Analysis 27 November, 2020 27 November 2020
- EURGBP Wave Analysis 27 November, 2020 27 November 2020
- GBPCAD Wave Analysis 27 November, 2020 27 November 2020
- Vale Wave Analysis 27 November, 2020 27 November 2020
- Find Your Forex Entry Point: 3 Entry Strategies To Try 27 November 2020
- NEWS: US stocks open higher. The NASDAQ leads the way as it trades at a new record high November 27, 2020 at 02:32PM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: EURUSD tests the high from yesterday November 27, 2020 at 02:24PM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Reports suggest that the head of Iran’s nuclear program has been killed November 27, 2020 at 02:18PM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Gold tumbles below the $1800 level November 27, 2020 at 02:03PM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: GBPUSD downside off of moving average technical support November 27, 2020 at 01:59PM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: UK Covid outbreak stops spreading exponentially November 27, 2020 at 01:48PM 27 November 2020
- Implied Volatility: What is it & Why Should Traders Care? 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Germany to expand coronavirus aid for companies November 27, 2020 at 01:22PM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: On the economic calendar today…. November 27, 2020 at 01:18PM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: The NZD is the strongest and the GBP is the weakest as NA traders enter for the day November 27, 2020 at 01:02PM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: ForexLive European FX news wrap: Pound slightly softer as the Brexit saga drags on November 27, 2020 at 12:49PM 27 November 2020
- Crude Oil Price Outlook: Oil Price Volatility to Rise Amid Key OPEC Meeting 27 November 2020
- NEWS: UK’s Frost: For a Brexit deal to be possible, it must fully respect UK sovereignty November 27, 2020 at 12:03PM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Gold still searching for answers as we look towards the end of the week November 27, 2020 at 11:44AM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Cable falls to session lows as sellers wrestle back near-term control November 27, 2020 at 10:37AM 27 November 2020
- USD/MXN Eyeing Key Support for Further Downside Momentum 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Brexit: Gaps on level playing field, governance, fisheries remain large, says EU diplomat November 27, 2020 at 10:18AM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Eurozone November final consumer confidence -17.6 vs -17.6 prelim November 27, 2020 at 10:00AM 27 November 2020
- NZD & AUD adding on fast recovery and hopes for further BoJ’s QE 27 November 2020
- NEWS: BOJ considers extending measures aimed at easing corporate funding strains beyond December – report November 27, 2020 at 09:21AM 27 November 2020
- President Donald Trump says he will leave White House if Electoral College votes for Joe Biden 27 November 2020
- British Pound (GBP) Latest – Hitting Resistance as Brexit Talks Continue 27 November 2020
- Bitcoin price dives back under $16,900 as whale deposits spike again 27 November 2020
- NEWS: EU’s Barnier says that he will be traveling to London this evening for Brexit talks November 27, 2020 at 08:34AM 27 November 2020
- China’s factory growth likely edged up in November 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Saudi, Russia energy ministers to hold informal talks with OPEC+ JMMC tomorrow – report November 27, 2020 at 08:28AM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: ECB’s Villeroy: First objective needs to be to keep favourable financing conditions for as long as needed November 27, 2020 at 08:19AM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: European equities open mixed to start the day November 27, 2020 at 08:17AM 27 November 2020
- Stocks hover near record high, oil skids on demand outlook 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Brexit: Barnier reportedly told EU envoys he cannot say at this stage if a deal is possible November 27, 2020 at 08:13AM 27 November 2020
- Dollar Weakens; Stimulus Expected to Combat Pandemic 27 November 2020
- China’s central bank could intervene after ‘glaring’ state-firm bond defaults 27 November 2020
- India is headed for a technical recession — and the road to recovery will be long, analysts say 27 November 2020
- NEWS: France October consumer spending +3.7% vs +3.5% m/m expected November 27, 2020 at 07:45AM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: France November preliminary CPI +0.2% vs +0.1% y/y expected November 27, 2020 at 07:45AM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: France Q3 final GDP +18.7% vs +18.2% q/q prelim November 27, 2020 at 07:45AM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: China says that Australia relations have taken a ‘nosedive’ November 27, 2020 at 07:42AM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Oil complex eyes OPEC+ November 27, 2020 at 07:35AM 27 November 2020
- EUR/USD at Risk as ECB Signals Recalibration of Monetary Policy Tools 27 November 2020
- NEWS: ICYMI: Brexit face-to-face talks to resume in London November 27, 2020 at 07:17AM 27 November 2020
- NEWS: Eurostoxx futures -0.1% in early European trading November 27, 2020 at 07:05AM 27 November 2020