October 21, 2020 at 08:46AM
U.S. stock index futures rose in early morning trading on Wednesday after White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin have made “good progress” on stimulus talks, before adding that they “still have a ways to go” before an agreement is reached.
Futures contracts tied to the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 160 points. S&P 500 futures and Nasdaq-100 futures both traded in mildly positive territory. Following Pelosi and Mnuchin’s meeting on Tuesday, Meadows told CNBC’s “Closing Bell” that the two will talk again on Wednesday, and that he hopes to see “some kind of agreement before the weekend.”
Mnuchin and Pelosi’s conversation Tuesday continued a desperate attempt to hash out an agreement before the Nov. 3 election. Democrats and the Trump administration have struggled for months to overcome fundamental disagreements over additional stimulus measures — including the dollar amount — as the economy continues to feel the burden of the coronavirus pandemic.
Stocks have been trading based on lawmakers’ perceived progress — or lack thereof — and on Tuesday finished the session higher after Pelosi told Bloomberg TV that she’s “optimistic” about a potential aid deal.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average finished the session 0.4%, or 113.37 points, higher. At one point during the session the 30-stock average had been up more than 300 points. The S&P 500 gained 0.5% to end the day at 3,443.12, while the Nasdaq Composite advanced 0.3% to close at 11,516.49.
Stock futures rise as stimulus talks continue, Netflix shares fall after earnings miss, CNBC, Oct 21
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/stock-futures-rise-as-stimulus-talks-continue-20201021/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: EU sources: We will try and get deal done this weekend if possible December 04, 2020 at 04:50PM
- NEWS: European equity close: Strong finish salvages a soft week December 04, 2020 at 04:36PM
- NEWS: Brexit: UK trade talk to resume after break in today’s negotiations December 04, 2020 at 04:20PM
- NEWS: Pelosi: Discussed with McConnell adding stimulus to Omnibus December 04, 2020 at 04:14PM
- NEWS: Fed’s Kashkari: Jobs report shows many Americans have given up hope December 04, 2020 at 04:11PM