October 14, 2020 at 05:42PM
Stocks fell after Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said that getting a stimulus deal done before the Nov. 3 election will be difficult. While there’s been progress on certain issues, Mnuchin said stimulus talks are still far apart on others. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi had a “productive” talk about potential stimulus with the Treasury Secretary this morning, according to her spokesman, who added they will will speak again Thursday.
“It’s important we get something done, but it’s not fatal for the economy if we don’t get something right way, it just means things will be slower,” said Keith Lerner, chief market strategist at SunTrust Advisory Services. “We’re in a little bit of a digestion, it’s early on earnings. We just have a short-term tug of war as markets brace to get a better picture of the earnings story.”
These are some of the main moves in markets:
The S&P 500 fell 0.6% as of 12:04 p.m. New York time.The Stoxx Europe 600 Index was little changed.The MSCI Asia Pacific Index was little changed.
The Bloomberg Dollar Spot Index decreased 0.2%.The euro advanced 0.1% to $1.1755.The British pound increased 0.7% to $1.303.
The yield on 10-year Treasuries fell one basis point to 0.72%.Germany’s 10-year yield dipped two basis points to -0.58%.Britain’s 10-year yield decreased two basis points to 0.221%.
The Bloomberg Commodity Index advanced 0.2%.West Texas Intermediate crude increased 1.5% to $40.82 a barrel. Gold strengthened 0.9% to $1,907.55 an ounce.
Stocks Drop After Mnuchin Remarks on Stimulus: Markets Wrap, Bloomberg, Oct 14
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/stocks-drop-after-mnuchin-remarks-on-stimulus-20201014/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: ECB’s Villeroy: First objective needs to be to keep favourable financing conditions for as long as needed November 27, 2020 at 08:19AM
- NEWS: European equities open mixed to start the day November 27, 2020 at 08:17AM
- Stocks hover near record high, oil skids on demand outlook
- NEWS: Brexit: Barnier reportedly told EU envoys he cannot say at this stage if a deal is possible November 27, 2020 at 08:13AM
- Dollar Weakens; Stimulus Expected to Combat Pandemic