September 29, 2020 at 05:25PM
The United States’ trade deficit in goods increased in August, with imports surging as businesses rebuild inventories which were depleted early in the COVID-19 pandemic, suggesting trade could be drag on economic growth in the third quarter. Still, the widening in the goods trade gap reported by the Commerce Department on Tuesday did not change expectations for a record jump in gross domestic product in the third quarter after output plunged in the April-June period at its steepest pace since 1947.
The economy got a boost over the summer from the reopening of businesses and a rescue package from the government. But new coronavirus cases are rising and money from the government for businesses and the unemployment is running out, resulting in slowing economic activity heading into the fourth quarter. The goods trade gap increased 3.5% to $82.9 billion last month. Imports of goods rose 3.1% to $201.3 billion, eclipsing a 2.8% increase in goods exports to $118.3 billion.
The rise in imports last month was led by consumer goods, which increased 7%. There were also strong gains in imports of food, capital and consumer goods. But imports of industrial supplies fell 4.6%. Exports of industrial supplies and food rose. But shipments of motor vehicles and parts, capital goods and consumer goods fell. Wholesale inventories rebounded 0.5% in August after dipping 0.1% in the prior month. Inventory accumulation is expected to contribute to GDP growth in the third quarter after subtracting from output for five straight quarters.
U.S. goods trade deficit rises; inventories increase, Reuters, Sep 29
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/u-s-goods-trade-deficit-rises-inventories-increase-20200929/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Federal Open Market Committee November meeting minutes due Wednesday – preview November 25, 2020 at 02:47AM
- NEWS: New Zealand home lending has hit a record high November 25, 2020 at 02:32AM
- NEWS: China ready to strengthen exchanges & cooperation with Germany on COVID-19 vaccine November 25, 2020 at 02:28AM
- Nasdaq 100 May Lead Hang Seng, ASX 200 Higher as Vaccine-Rally Carries On
- NEWS: Crypto exchange Coinbase plans to end all margin trading from Wednesday November 25, 2020 at 02:01AM