September 24, 2020 at 03:08PM
US weekly unemployment claims once again fell short of expectations. The number of initial claims rose from 866K to 870K with expectations of 845K. The number of continued claims fell from 12.75M to 12.58M, worse than the expected 12.3M.
Continued claims numbers are falling, albeit at a much slower pace than expected, while the stabilization of initial applications for benefits at 880K over the last four weeks is a worrying sign.
The current level is four times higher than before the pandemic hit and without further decline, it will signal a possible halt in the economic recovery.
Strictly speaking, this is more negative news for markets, but the big question now is, isn’t the market tired of the sell-off?
The FxPro Analyst Team
From: The FxPro Analyst Team https://fxpro.news/daily-economic-events/us-jobless-claims-data-again-fell-short-of-expectations-20200924/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Canadian equities open higher with the US on holiday November 26, 2020 at 02:40PM
- NEWS: Johnson spokesman: We want to resume face-to-face talks but it’s a matter for EU November 26, 2020 at 01:41PM
- NEWS: Canada Sept average weekly earnings +6.9% vs +7.91% y/y prior November 26, 2020 at 01:36PM
- Bitcoin (BTC), Ripple (XRP) Stemming Heavy Losses as Volatility Returns
- NEWS: The US is on holiday but there is some Canadian news to come November 26, 2020 at 01:29PM