September 24, 2020 at 06:06PM
Stocks climbed on speculation that talks about a new round of economic stimulus will resume. The S&P 500 rose on a news report that Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin plans to resume negotiations with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. He told a Senate Banking Committee hearing on Thursday that a targeted pandemic relief package is “still needed.” The U.S. economy may be close to a “full recovery” by year’s end, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis President James Bullard said. Tech companies and retailers led the advance in equities, following an early rout that took the gauge 10% below its September high.
Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell reiterated that “it’s likely that additional fiscal support will be needed,” speaking at the same Senate panel where Mnuchin was testifying.
The S&P 500 advanced 0.8% at 12:06 p.m. New York time.
The Stoxx Europe 600 Index decreased 1%.
The MSCI Asia Pacific Index dipped 1.8%.
The Bloomberg Dollar Spot Index gained 0.1%.
The euro fell 0.1% to $1.1654.
The Japanese yen depreciated 0.1% to 105.46 per dollar.
The yield on 10-year Treasuries dipped one basis point to 0.67%.
Germany’s 10-year yield decreased less than one basis point to -0.51%.
Britain’s 10-year yield was unchanged at 0.218%.
West Texas Intermediate crude decreased 0.1% to $39.90 a barrel.
Gold strengthened 0.2% to $1,867.22 an ounce.
Silver depreciated 1% to $22.54 per ounce.
Stocks Climb on Mnuchin’s Remarks Amid Tech Rally: Markets Wrap, Bloomberg, Sep 24
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/stocks-climb-on-mnuchins-remarks-amid-tech-rally-20200924/
Selected by fonecable.com
- Weekly US Dollar Fundamental Forecast: All Eyes on January Fed Meeting
- Canadian Dollar Forecast: Busy Week Ahead, GDP, Fed, IMF, Earnings Season
- Australian Dollar Capped by Falling Iron Ore Demand Ahead of Inflation Data
- NEWS: The Gamestop rip crystalizes a new era in the stock market. Six lessons January 22, 2021 at 10:09PM
- NEWS: ForexLive Americas FX news wrap: US PMIs blow away expectations January 22, 2021 at 10:04PM