September 18, 2020 at 09:45AM
Ethereum miners’ hourly revenue has hit a five-year record, with fees currently bringing in 2,275 ETH ($880K) per hour. The spike was triggered by yesterday’s announcement that Uniswap would airdrop it’s governance token UNI to past users of the decentralized exchange. Following the UNI announcement, more than 70,000 users rushed to claim free tokens and the gas price surged past 700 Gwei.
Crypto analytics firm Glassnode tweeted that fees had topped $1 million in an hour: Following UniswapProtocol’s announcement of the $UNI token today, #Ethereum saw a massive surge in miner fees. Almost $1M USD in fees were spent in a single hour! These figures dwarf the daily revenue earned by miners during the late 2017 bull run, which peaked at a little over 1,000 ETH per hour.
The sky high fees are pushing ordinary users out of the system, and hurting the bottom line of major exchanges. U.S. crypto exchange Coinbase Pro announced earlier today that it will no longer cover network fees much to the disappointment of users.
Numerous other users reported transactions taking hours or failing. Miners are financially incentivized to process transactions with the highest fees first, resulting in a massive backlog of the transactions with lower fees. Further adding to the network bottleneck, each block has a limit on the amount of gas that can be included in it — reducing the number of transactions that can be confirmed in the block as fees increase.
The network congestion is driving users and developers to seek alternative solutions. Binance Smart Chain (BSC) has seen increased growth this week with Binance founder and CEO CZ boasting the platform hit 40% of Ethereum’s transaction volume on Tuesday this week.
Coinbase Pro passes gas fees to users as ETH miner revenue hits 5 year high, CoinTelegraph, Sep 18
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/ethereum-miner-revenue-hits-5-year-high-20200918/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: Trump has said he will veto the US Defense Bill December 04, 2020 at 04:41AM
- NEWS: NZD traders – Fonterra raised its 2020/2021 milk payout forecast December 04, 2020 at 04:23AM
- NEWS: ForexLive Asia FX news wrap: AUD/USD and NZD/USD slip a little December 04, 2020 at 03:57AM
- NEWS: Taiwan looks to be on track for administering COVID-19 vaccination by end Q2 of 2021 December 04, 2020 at 03:47AM
- NEWS: Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine approval in the US expected next week December 04, 2020 at 03:10AM