September 08, 2020 at 08:17AM
Futures on the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 305 points. S&P 500 futures and Nasdaq-100 futures also traded in positive territory. Stocks just snapped a five-week winning streak after a big reversal in major technology stocks last week. Steep losses in Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and Facebook — 2020′s market leaders — drove the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite down 3.3% to suffer its worst week since March 20. The Dow and the S&P 500 fell 1.8% and 2.3% last week, respectively, posting their biggest weekly losses since June.
Many on Wall Street believe the weakness derived from worries that the massive tech run-up pushed valuations to unsustainable levels. The aggressive buying of growth stocks has also been spilling into the options markets. Even with last week’s pullback, the Nasdaq is up more than 70% from its March bottom.
Last week’s Big Tech slump coincided with an outperformance in cyclical stocks — names most sensitive to the economic recovery. The S&P 500 materials and financials sectors were the two biggest winners in the prior week, up 2.3% and 0.9%, respectively. Amid the big rotation, the Cboe Volatility Index, known as the VIX or the market’s “fear gauge,” hit a high of 38.28 on Friday, its highest level since June 15.
Geopolitical developments could also weigh on investor sentiment. China accused the U.S. of “bullying” as it launched a global data security initiative on Tuesday. That came as Washington continues to pressure China’s largest tech firms and convince countries around the world to block them. President Donald Trump also recently entertained the idea of “decoupling” from China, or refusing to do business with the country.
Dow futures surge 300 points following the worst tech rout since March, CNBC, Sep 8
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/dow-futures-surge-300-points-20200908/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: ForexLive European FX news wrap: Mixed markets with US stimulus ‘deadline’ in focus October 20, 2020 at 12:58PM
- NEWS: European Commission says willing to intensify Brexit talks with the UK October 20, 2020 at 12:35PM
- NEWS: How likely are you to take a coronavirus vaccine if recommended to do so? October 20, 2020 at 12:30PM
- EUR/USD Eyes One-Month High, SURE Bonds Garner Huge Demand
- NEWS: BOE’s Vlieghe: Tiering has been effective in getting the benefits of negative rates, while reducing costs October 20, 2020 at 11:29AM