September 01, 2020 at 10:59AM
August has been a strong month for broad U.S. stock indexes — the best since the April bounce-back from the pandemic lows in March. In addition to the technology rally, there have been partial rebounds for troubled industries, including cruise lines, airlines, and hotel and casino operators.
The Dow rose 7.6% during August and ended the month down 0.4% for 2020. The S&P 500 Index was up 7% for August and up 8.3% for 2020. The Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, +0.68% was up 9.6% for August and up 31.2% for the year, while the Nasdaq-100 Index (which includes the largest 100 nonfinancial companies in the Nasdaq) was up 11% for August and up 38.7% for 2020.
As the market opened Monday, shares of Apple Inc. AAPL, +3.39% underwent a four-for-one split, while Tesla Inc. TSLA, +12.56% completed a five-for-one split. Apple’s split-adjusted stock ended the session up 21.4% for August and up 75.8% for 2020. Tesla was up 74.1% for August and 495.6% for 2020.
On Monday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average underwent three changes: Salesforce.com Inc. CRM, +0.57% replaced Exxon Mobil Corp. XOM, -1.84%, Amgen Inc. AMGN, +0.07% replaced Pfizer Inc. PFE, -0.31%, and Honeywell International Inc. HON, -1.68% replaced Raytheon Technologies Corp. RTX, -1.99%.
Here are the big winners among U.S. stocks during a sizzling August, MarketWatch, Sep 1
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/here-are-the-big-winners-among-u-s-stocks-during-a-sizzling-august-20200901/
Selected by fonecable.com
- NEWS: PBOC sets USD/ CNY reference rate for today at 6.4665 January 27, 2021 at 01:15AM
- NEWS: FX option expiries for Wednesday January 27 at the 10am NY cut January 27, 2021 at 01:15AM
- Dollar on the defensive with Fed’s Powell likely to sound dovish note
- NEWS: US House of Representatives March recess has been cancelled – possible stimulus votes January 27, 2021 at 12:54AM
- NEWS: Australia – NAB business confidence, December 2020: 4 (prior 13) and conditions 14 (prior 7) January 27, 2021 at 12:33AM