Deficits are a major challenge to the dollar-based system
On August 15, 1971 — exactly 49 years ago — the gold-pegged Bretton Woods system collapsed.
After nations began to demand redeeming dollars for gold, President Richard Nixon shocked the world with the following after secret meetings at Camp David:
- NEWS: Germany’s Roth in letter to UK government: A fair Brexit deal is still possible September 29, 2020 at 10:11AM
- NEWS: Eurozone September final consumer confidence -13.9 vs -13.9 prelim September 29, 2020 at 10:00AM
- Global Markets: Shares slip as U.S. presidential debate looms
- 5 charts show how much the U.S. and Chinese economies depend on each other
- NEWS: UK August mortgage approvals 84.7k vs 71.3k expected September 29, 2020 at 09:30AM