October 10, 2019 at 10:01AM
Singapore has overtaken the U.S. to become the most competitive nation in the world, according to the World Economic Forum (WEF).In its 2019 Global Competitiveness Report, the WEF measured the strength of 103 key indicators, such as inflation, digital skills and trade tariffs, across 141 countries.
The key indicators in the report were organized into 12 pillars, which included institutions, macroeconomic stability and health. The U.S., which held the top spot in 2018′s ranking, dropped into second place this year, although the report’s authors noted that it “remains an innovation powerhouse.” America received the highest score in the world in several subcategories, including ease of finding skilled employees and venture capital availability, with the U.S. also being ranked higher than any other country in the business dynamism pillar.
However, the country scored relatively low in some categories, with increasing trade tariffs, declining life expectancy and low digital skills among the American population taking a toll on the United States’ overall ranking. The WEF noted that life expectancy in the U.S. is now lower than it is in China, with the U.S. having only the 39th highest life expectancy in the world amid its ongoing opioid crisis. Singapore, named the most competitive economy in the world, scored highly for its public sector, labor force, diversity and infrastructure. On life expectancy, Singapore was ranked number one, with newborn children expected to live until the age of 74. In comparison, life expectancy in the U.S. is 66 years old, while in China it’s 68.
The 10 most competitive countries in the world
From: The FxPro News Team https://fxpro.news/daily-forex-outlook/singapore-overtakes-the-us-to-become-worlds-most-competitive-country-wef-says-20191010/
Selected by fonecable.com
- Brexit day of reckoning: parliament to vote on Johnson’s deal
- NEWS: ForexLive Americas FX news wrap: Dollar sags as Clarida keeps mum October 18, 2019 at 09:52PM
- NEWS: Fitch affirms UK credit rating but retains ratings watch for downgrade October 18, 2019 at 09:17PM
- NEWS: US equities slide to close out the week October 18, 2019 at 09:05PM
- NEWS: CFTC Commitments of Traders: Pound shorts haven’t been squeezed…yet October 18, 2019 at 08:53PM
Top Posts & Pages
- GBP/USD Chart
- Brent Crude Oil Wave Analysis – 18 October, 2019
- NZDCAD Wave Analysis – 18 October, 2019
- NEWS: If you can't hit the inflation target, lower it October 18, 2019 at 04:36PM
- NEWS: Brexit vote coming up on Saturday - what it means for EUR October 17, 2019 at 11:33PM
- NEWS: Aramco says that timing of IPO will depend on market conditions October 18, 2019 at 05:37AM
- NEWS: US dollar falls on what Clarida doesn't say October 18, 2019 at 04:43PM
- NEWS: Canada Sept Teranet house price index +0.7% vs +0.6% y/y prior October 18, 2019 at 01:30PM
- NEWS: S&P 500 slumps to the lows of the day. A Pence speech to worry about October 18, 2019 at 05:22PM
- India Policy Makers’ Worries About Growth Signal More Rate Cuts